Frustrating "Unknown Device" when plugging in Arduino

Please help me. My computer cannot recognize the Arduino Uno that I plugged in.

I have searched a lot, but most troubleshooting says with the assumption that in the Device Manager, there is "Arduino Uno" under the Ports section, but my computer not only regard Arduino as Unknown Device, but also does not have Ports info.

I have tried the Update Driver, but an error saying "Windows encountered a problem installing the driversoftware for your device..." occured.

OMG! Can anyone help me out?

do you have the arduino compiler loaded and running? do you have an arduino connected? did the computer ‘see’ you plug it in with a noise from the speaker? If so, go to /tools/port in the compilers bar, if you put your mouse over port do you get a box to the right of it saying
COM ?
does it have a number there? is there a tick at the side of COM? if not click on the word COM, try to compile something now.
If the PORT is grayed out go to control panel click on system, click on hardware and click the device manager, find ports (COM & LPT) open it, do you see a com assigned for the arduino if not you could have problems with the lead to the arduino or the arduino itself.

See http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=208199.0

Changing Date on Windows 8 should be similar to 8.1 Changing Date on Windows 7 http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/set-clock#1TC=windows-7

hth

matelot:
do you have the arduino compiler loaded and running? do you have an arduino connected? did the computer ‘see’ you plug it in with a noise from the speaker? If so, go to /tools/port in the compilers bar, if you put your mouse over port do you get a box to the right of it saying
COM ?
does it have a number there? is there a tick at the side of COM? if not click on the word COM, try to compile something now.
If the PORT is grayed out go to control panel click on system, click on hardware and click the device manager, find ports (COM & LPT) open it, do you see a com assigned for the arduino if not you could have problems with the lead to the arduino or the arduino itself.

I connected the arduino Uno, which works well on my other computer. But my Dell computer cannot even detect it, and there’s no Port shown in the list of device manager.

Thanks, I’ll keep trying