frustration over uploading sketch error

Hi, after countless tests, and trialling, I have reached a brick wall, some times when uploading a sketch to a Dork board or to a Duemilanove, I get the following message, it’s always the same, and is not related to a particular board, I have 4 Dork Boards I am grooming for some serious work, and this error pops up when I least want it to.

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

I see the same error on the forum often but I don’t see a reply, Does anyone know the answer?

Kiwijor.

I see the same error on the forum often but I don't see a reply, Does anyone know the answer?

This error can be frustrating because so many different problems can cause this error report. Basically it means the Arduino IDE can't communicate with the board. So there can be many possible causes:

wrong comm port assigned in the Arduino IDE FTDI driver software problem on PC bad PC USB controller or controller driver software bad USB cable (possibly intermittent which makes it even harder to determine) Bad or flaky USB connector on either the PC or the arduino board bad FTDI chip on board Interference with external components or wiring to pins 0 or 1. etc etc

re: This error can be frustrating because so many different problems can cause this error report. Basically it means the Arduino IDE can't communicate with the board. So there can be many possible causes:

wrong comm port assigned in the Arduino IDE FTDI driver software problem on PC bad PC USB controller or controller driver software bad USB cable (possibly intermittent which makes it even harder to determine) Bad or flaky USB connector on either the PC or the arduino board bad FTDI chip on board Interference with external components or wiring to pins 0 or 1.

I have checked Commport, - I can program another chip with a P4 board, usb cable is ok, Could be flaky usb connector on PC, don't think its interference due to fact I can program another dork board I have (4) to program, some have run just fine, must be a nebulous something or other!!

Thanks for the assistance.

Kiwijor. :) :-[ :-/