FTDI died

I just got an Arduino Diecimila, plugged it in, set the serial port to tty and hit program with the basic analog in example and my computer was forced to reset. When I reset my computer the serial ports were gone. I reinstalled the drivers and that still didn’t work.

I then decided to update from version 7 of the software to the current version 11 and to also update the drivers and that didn’t work either. The FTDI serial ports still don’t show up.

When I try to program my arduino (whether it is plugged in or not) it says:

Binary sketch size: 1362 bytes (of a 14336 byte maximum)

processing.app.SerialException: Serial port ‘/dev/tty.usbserial-A4001cHT’ not found. Did you select the right one from the Tools > Serial Port menu?
at processing.app.Serial.(Serial.java:149)
at processing.app.Serial.(Serial.java:72)
at processing.app.Uploader.flushSerialBuffer(Uploader.java:66)
at processing.app.AvrdudeUploader.uploadViaBootloader(AvrdudeUploader.java:68)
at processing.app.AvrdudeUploader.uploadUsingPreferences(AvrdudeUploader.java:43)
at processing.app.Sketch.upload(Sketch.java:1632)
at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1701)
at processing.app.Editor$41.run(Editor.java:2004)
at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:178)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:454)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:234)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:184)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:178)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:170)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:100)

I’m on a PPC mac G4. I don’t know what else to tell you or how to fix this. Suggestions welcome.

And why would it do this?

when you plug in your board does it light up? Are you getting power to the board? If so, what happens when you plug it in. What do the lights do? Also, check the serial menu when the board is plugged in. Do you lose or gain an item? You may have the wrong port selected.

Plug in the board, open a terminal windows and type the following

%> ls /dev

and post the output here.

Alternatively, go here http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm and download and install the 2.1.9 driver

What was the attached circuit when it happened? When you tried again, did you remove all hardware and wiring you had attached? Was the arduino plugged into a hub and, of so, was the hub self or bus powered?

-j