Fuel left in car tank?

Hey. i am looking to find a way to mesure the gas left in my tank... the sensor the car has (Floter) is prety crapy. i need something as passive as it can get, becouse i dont want to risk any explosions by the cables going inside... so if someone knows anything ready for that job, it would be great. One solution would be the capacitance tubular sensors, designed for cars, but i think that they will as well not be of much prescision (becouse the fuel has waves in it..)

Enothe way would be to have 2 flow sensors, one for the fuel going in, and one for the fuel going out, but, expet that this will add complexity, as the arduino will now have to save staff in an SD, i also wander if there is a flow sensor, that can handle the flow of the gas pamp when you fill....

I was wandering if there is any way to mesure it with ultra sonar sensor, or something that mesures the volume of the liquid. anyone got any input on that?

I was wandering if there is any way to mesure it with ultra sonar sensor

You could, possibly, measure the height of the fuel in the tank with an ultrasonic sensor. The reading would only be good when the vehicle was parked and turned off, because of all the sloshing around the fuel does when the vehicle is moving.

The float in my fuel tank does a very good job of measuring how much fuel is left. Perhaps yours is just old/rusty or has a bad connection. I’d be replacing/repairing the existing device, first.

settra: Hey. i am looking to find a way to mesure the gas left in my tank... the sensor the car has (Floter) is prety crapy. i need something as passive as it can get, becouse i dont want to risk any explosions by the cables going inside... so if someone knows anything ready for that job, it would be great.

Considering that you're going to likely have to drop the tank anyhow to install whatever it is that you plan on installing, you might as well replace the fuel-level sender unit itself. It will likely be the cheapest and quickest (and most accurate) option.

If you are located in the United States, check Rock Auto (rockauto.com) for the sender; chances are, it's a really cheap part (especially if it is just a level measuring device, and doesn't have an integrated fuel pump - by the way, why didn't you tell us what the year, make, and model of the car is?).

Also - if you're screwing around with a car's fuel system, yet don't understand that in order to get an explosion from gasoline that you need a particular fuel-air ratio (that is, the fumes in a tank, without air/oxygen, are unlikely to ignite - oh, and in modern vehicles, there is an electric motor immersed in the fuel that pumps it to the engine - the motor is cooled by the fuel) - you don't have the knowledge or skills to be messing around in this area.

Gasoline is (and delivery systems are) fairly safe if handled in a respectful and sane manner, with proper knowledge and skills - but do something stupid or wrong, and you'll see just how much power there is in gasoline (which is why we use it as a fuel).