Fully automated Arduino controlled train

jenna77123:
The thing is i have never used an arduino before or made any project that went over your average 5th grade volcano, so i am pretty blank when it comes anything of this sort.

Then successively break the project into smaller and smaller problems until the largest single problem you have to solve is about the same complexity as a 5th grade volcano. That is how all complex problems are solved. That is how we made it to the moon.

Some questions that will hopefully get you started breaking down your project...

-moves forwards and backwards

Automatically? Only by human command? Are there go / no go constraints? Are there speed limits?

-has a headlight

That comes on automatically? When?

-can sense anything on the track and then will stop.

At what distance?

-has train sounds

That occur under what conditions? Crossings? Random? Human command?

Seemed like an interesting project. I like model trains. But we seem to have lost the OP.

...R

Can I make the train move forwards and backwards, have lights, slow down at the bends and make train sounds using one arduino UNO?

The thing is I don't have the luxury of trying it out and practicing I have to go straight into it.
Will I be able to use one arduino UNO for all the train specifications?

Yes if you add sensors, motor, speaker, LEDs...

UNO should be good for features you want but I think you will need something with smaller dimensions. Maybe Nano. It has same MCU as UNO.

A Nano or Micro might fit in the train better. Both have USB connect for easy programming.

You have multiple sensors and a motor that all need to operate at the same time.

That will take coding that is beyond beginner level but can be learned right here. The more experience you have with code, the better chance you have of integrating all those parts. That is why I asked about your experience writing code, to guess whether or not to spend more time on this.

Have you found the Arduino Fundamentals page to start learning those details you couldn't find?

@jenna77123, please do not cross-post. Threads merged.

jenna77123:
The thing is I don't have the luxury of trying it out and practicing I have to go straight into it.
Will I be able to use one arduino UNO for all the train specifications?

An Uno can easily do it. But is there room for an Uno on the train? Maybe you need a smaller Arduino such as a Nano.

You are asking us questions but you are not answering any of our questions. If you really want useful help read this Thread carefully and answer all the outstanding existing questions.

I don't think there is a snowball's chance in hell of getting this working without a lot of experimentation with the model train. I couldn't do that and I have been messing with model trains and microcontrollers for 30 years or more.

You will need a suitable h-bridge motor driver between the Arduino and the motor.
You can use LEDs for lights.
You will need something at the side of, or under the track at places where it needs to change speed and you will need something on the train to detect the devices alongside the track.
Don't expect an Arduino on its own to make high-quality sound. It would probably be a good idea to get an add-on MP3 player. You will need something to hold an SC Card in any event.

...R

jenna77123:

That's fraught with problems. I know adult learning is all about learning what we need when we need it, but that doesn't mean one can dive in too deep too soon.

I think you'll save time in the long run if you get the basics right first.

GoForSmoke:
You already stated the new to Arduino part. Me knowing that, I asked about your programming abilities specifically with C but also other languages.

We do get people who figuratively want to write novels without learning the alphabet first.

At the top of your screen in the green bar are links. The Learning link can get you to the Fundamentals page where Arduino parts get explained. You would do well to explore the site and bookmark the help pages, much more well much quicker than playing 20 coy questions and answers.

If you expect to get this done, you have to push.

well then in the field of Arduino and programming I'm trying to write a novel without learning the alphabet.

[quote author=Coding Badly link=msg=3122526 date=1486578886]
Then successively break the project into smaller and smaller problems until the largest single problem you have to solve is about the same complexity as a 5th grade volcano. That is how all complex problems are solved. That is how we made it to the moon.

Some questions that will hopefully get you started breaking down your project...

Automatically? Only by human command? Are there go / no go constraints? Are there speed limits?

That comes on automatically? When?

At what distance?

That occur under what conditions? Crossings? Random? Human command?

[/quote] Ok those questions really help.

• Moving Backwards and forwards using IR sensors on the track.
    -Headlight that is turned on through out
    -Train sounds (that turn on at human command)

jenna77123:
well then in the field of Arduino and programming I'm trying to write a novel without learning the alphabet.

Not going to happen.
You need to have realistic aspirations.

• Moving Backwards and forwards using IR sensors on the track.
    -Headlight that is turned on through out
    -Train sounds (that turn on at human command)

Do you know how to use IR sensors? If not that is somewhere to start.

How will the human get her/his command to the train?

The headlight should be easy.
However at the moment I suspect you think all the parts will be equally easy.

...R

Robin2:
Not going to happen.
You need to have realistic aspirations.

This project isn't an aspiration its compulsory.

jenna77123:

That may be. But you continue with these very brief responses and without engaging with us in any realistic way which might help you to attain your goal.

The project may be compulsory but only failure can be guaranteed. Success requires work,

I am beginning to wonder if you are just posting here to waste time - yours and ours.

...R

jenna77123:

This is about what YOU want to do and how YOU can get that done.
When it was my turn, every time I learned what I needed to know just to develop what my job required.

How many examples have you worked through just since you started this thread? Many should take about 30 minutes to "get".

If you want a harvest, start by breaking ground.

jenna77123:

How long do you have?

DIYing something is inherently very time-consuming, and that goes triple if you need to learn new things to do it. I've had an aspiration to motorize a TV wall mount for a while now, and I've spent months looking for an appropriate set of motors and gears that can be attached to the mount in an attractive manner (at least more attractive than gluing a servo block to the side of the bars like their giant warts). This is because my experience with mechanics is nil at that point, so learning all this stuff is hard.

There are many people here that will help you through individual problems you might have, but no one's going to design your entire project for you. If you don't want to put in the effort to learn how to do it mostly yourself, then find something to buy. Most of your goals are quite ambitious, and will not be possible if you are on a time constraint.

There are many people here that will help you through individual problems you might have, but no one's going to design your entire project for you.

That and I know what happens when someone gets a degree they didn't earn.