Fully autonomus UAV

Hi all I am new to Arduino. I am planning a project for the final year of my college. I want to make Fully autonomus UAV that can be controlled by PC and rc radio as well. I have done research and have no problem in understaing the codes used on arduino board. However i have some questions.

1)How to setup communication between arduino and a program i am planning to write(maybe in java)
2) how to ake the AHRS(graphics, animation and code)
3) how to get cordinates from google earth just by clicking

If anyone can, then plz do guide me

i am building a quadcopter UAV ,, maybe you like to read this stuff ,, and look at the tools i made 8)

How are you planning on acceessing a java program? If this is going to be a free flying UAV, it will need some form of comunication with a computer

Divyansh_Chahar:
Hi all I am new to Arduino. I am planning a project for the final year of my college. I want to make Fully autonomus UAV that can be controlled by PC and rc radio as well.

I don't know what your level of experience is when it comes to microcontrollers, software development, electronics, robotics, mechanical engineering, RC aviation, etc - but I do want to tell you to think carefully about this project.

This isn't an easy project, it won't be an inexpensive one, and if you have never flown an RC aircraft before, adding computer control is not going to magically get it into the sky (and keep it there). If you don't have any (or only a little) experience in all the above skills (and more) - then this project is likely not for you, unless you are planning on learning these skills as you go along. Even then, such a project might not be the best one to start out with, as it requires interdisciplinary and interdependent skill sets; ie - if you have never flown an RC aircraft before, you're going to have a heck of a time writing software to control the aircraft - even if you are learning as you go.

Divyansh_Chahar:
I have done research and have no problem in understaing the codes used on arduino board. However i have some questions.

You might do well letting us know what your relevant skills are for this project, plus how long you have until you need to complete it; it may be that you won't have the time to complete such a project (unless this is some kind of research project over the entire course of your education).

Divyansh_Chahar:
1)How to setup communication between arduino and a program i am planning to write(maybe in java)

The fact that you are asking this is troubling; first off, know that a good UAV will require some method of having the ground antenna directionally track the aircraft in flight (thus there also needs to be line-of-sight to the aircraft as well). This is typically done via the aircraft sending back telemetry data of GPS location, then since the base station knows it's GPS location, calculations can be done to automatically cause the base-station antenna to track (via a pan/tilt mechanism) the aircraft.

Comms are almost invariably going to be some sort of 2-way 802.11x RF connection - if you want to go inexpensive, that is. If not, then be prepared to get your amateur radio license as well. Alternatively, you might be able to do something using cell-phones and data, but it likely won't be the best way to do things.

Divyansh_Chahar:
2) how to ake the AHRS(graphics, animation and code)

Books have probably been written on this subject - if you need to make this yourself, then I can't help you; we're talking a major software project here.

Divyansh_Chahar:
3) how to get cordinates from google earth just by clicking

Again - your AHRS is a major piece of software (on top of everything else - including other software you'll need); if you are planning on writing this all yourself, you may want to carefully think about your platform needs and such. Personally, I would likely go with a RasPi (or nano-itx board) plus an ArduPilot on the aircraft - have it running Node.js or Python for interface/control between both. If you are making your own Arduino board, then maybe Firmata could be used. Comms using serial i/o, of course. Then the radio up/downlink to the base station.

Divyansh_Chahar:
If anyone can, then plz do guide me

Again, this is a big project - if you have to do everything from scratch, or if you use off-the-shelf stuff. I would suggest also (regardless of anything else) looking into these project for more advice, information, etc:

http://www.openpilot.org/

Good luck.

keep on building , ! :smiley: you wil learn in progress !

Be sure you feel comfortable with being able to complete the project you decide on. There are frequent post in the forum from those that went big and committed to a project they really didn't fully understand and probably failed to complete.

@:crOsh:
Thanks for taking out time to reply on my post

cr0sh:
I don't know what your level of experience is when it comes to microcontrollers, software development, electronics, robotics, mechanical engineering, RC aviation, etc - but I do want to tell you to think carefully about this project.

I know how to controll servos and motors and have a fair idea of the parts i need. I have been researching since last 3 months. I have more then average coding skills and working on developing java skills as well along with graphic design. I am an aerospace engineer(currently in 6th sem) and know the aircraft structures and loads. As far as rc aviation is concerned i have the knowledge of rc radios and and planes.

cr0sh:
You might do well letting us know what your relevant skills are for this project, plus how long you have until you need to complete it; it may be that you won't have the time to complete such a project (unless this is some kind of research project over the entire course of your education).

As i have already told you i know how to control servos and motors, how to read data from GPS and analogsignals. I have a year to make this project so time is not a factor also i have a team of 4 people who also happen to aerospace engineers.

I am not planning to fly it more then a mile away form my location so i think tx rx kit will.(If not then plz advice)

I am fully aware that it is not going to be inexpensive.

I would also like to add that i have know how the flight stabilization works so stabilization is not a problem.

I don't want to start developing a new AHRS i planning to use sparkfun's 9DoF of freedom Razor IMU. I just don't like the interface it has so i have decided to make a new one using the same sensor fusion algorithm that is already present along with some other dials like Fan rpm(using the stick input i provide in percentage not the actual value from a rpm sensor),landing gear status (none of the sensor fed value simply the current status of various variables which i will get form the MC) etc.

I did some research and came to know about a software called GL studio used to develop dials and instrument cluster and animate it accordingly, but i need java for it.

The only problem i have right now is google earth integration, how to write a script that reads cordinates from google earth and writes it to a file which can be sent to arduino for navigation. If there is a way around plz suggest.

I also happen to know the navigation algorithm required.

At last i have never made rc aircraft but have flown some without stabilization system.

It is going to be a two phase project. First i make the electronic part i.e. the AHRS and heading indicator along with google earth integration (a script to send my selected way points to arduino in the form of a file)and display my current location and bearing to next waypoint and distance from it.
This is going to be my minor project(i have 6 mmonths time for it) and as a major project i put it in a airplane and make it a fully autonomus UAV

I hope i got it all covered.
Plz let me know if i missed anything

@:zoomkat : I am fully comfortable with my project buddy. I have a year to do it

@: Dexterbot: Thanks for the link

And yes i am going to use arduino for the stabilization and not my laptop( not a java program for stabilization )

I don't want to use arduipilot as it cannot control my aircraft it is a VTOL tail heavy UAV with vector thrust and hovering capabilities so i have to write my own code and it dosen't have as many analog and digital pins as arduino mega.

i made a quadcopter vector trusted ,, but my results where terible !!

i also made a big ufo ,, ducted fan ,, and when flying it looks real foolish :grin:

hope you have better results on vtol ,,

Keep testing it and building! It's the only way to succeed.

If you automate the plane correctly then you could control it with pre-made software.
The plane would read signals from ground and turn them into proper control for your plane.
The plane flies itself, you just direct it. The more simple the directing part is, the better.
In such a way, a whole load of your work can already be done.

Are you making something like an Osprey or Harrier?