FYI: Setting Up the IDE with the Uno Rev 3

Some of the instructions here (http://arduino.cc/en/Guide/Windows) were not accurate for my computer. I run a Windows XP SP3 system, and I had to do things differently.

The Drivers You’ll need to download the Arduino IDE. It alone has the drivers; installing CodeBlocks didn’t help. I downloaded version 1.0.1 and then unzipped it to the folder “arduino-1.0.1”. Look for the folder named “drivers”. When its time, you will want to use the file “Arduino UNO REV3.inf”.

Next go to My Computer icon on the desktop, right click and select Manage. Then click on Device manager. That displays a list of devices. You should not have anything under “Other devices”, and nothing in a yellow colour under Ports (Comm and LPT). Under Ports, you should see only a list of devices that are already connected and working – such as a printer port. You will also likely see a COM1 port that is simply generic or unused.

Now connect the Uno to the USB port on the computer. You should now see – under Ports an item named “USB Device” with a yellow exclamation mark beside it. If Windows does not begin the New Hardware dialog, then right click the USB Device and click Update Driver. This takes you to the “Welcome to the Hardware Update Wizard”. Windows may also start this wizard automatically. In either case, proceed as follows: (Note: at some point, you may be asked to select a device type. If so, select “Port” and proceed. This will create a port other that COM1 – likely COM3 or COM4. That’s what you want.)

1. When asked Can Windows connect to Windows Update to search for software? select No, not this time. Click next.
  2. Select Install from a list or specified location (Advanced) and click next.
  3. On the next screen, clock the radio button beside “Don’t search. I will choose the driver to install.
  4. Navigate to the folder X:/arduino-1.0.1/drivers. Select the “Arduino UNO REV3.inf” file, and proceed. You will get some warnings about unsigned software, but ignore them.
  5. You should finally see the Completed Hardware Update Wizard showing the new device as “Arduino UNO R3”.
  6. In the device listing, you should now see that the “USB Device” entry has been replaced by “Arduino UNO R3 (COM4)” or perhaps another COM port. The port listed here is needed for the configuring the IDE.

Now follow the instructions for starting, configuring, and testing the board with the IDE example “Blink”. Note that if you get the error “avrdude: stk500-getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00”, then you have not set the proper COM port or have not properly installed the driver, or installed the incorrect driver.

When you get to “Upload the program”, the menu icons are not as shown there. (That may be for a different OS.) The upload arrow is next to the checkmark icon. Best wishes.