G-Code Sender?

I'm curently working on my wall plotter, and have implemented basic G-code interpretation.

The problem is of course flow control via serial. Never ran into the problem until now, that's a HUGE design flaw.

So, G-Code is meant to be sent a line at a time, waiting for "ok", then sending next line and so forth... if this flow control isn't used, the data overruns the buffer, and you're all done.

Where the heck can I get a simple "terminal" program using this handshake? I've seen reference to a Processing app that's for just this purpose.. but I can't find the app anywhere. I don't want to download the entire RepRap host just to dump a text file with this simple handshaking, nor do I want to re-invent the wheel and require others to also... nor do I want to load Python, etc. I can do it in any one of several languages, but it seems awfully silly, as it must be a common task. I can't even find anything that works on the RepRap forums.. the closest, a command-line "gcode-sender" doesn't work with the COM ports the FTDI/USB sets up as. (in my case COM13)

Note that RealTerm will not run under Vista. I'm not sure why this is so, but I've never had a successful install under Vista.. even installed as admin. That's a real shame, it was a great program.

I know there HAS to be a terminal program or Vista-friendly utility out there for this.. whatcha guys using to get past this PITA?

Note that RealTerm will not run under Vista. I'm not sure why this is so, but I've never had a successful install under Vista.. even installed as admin. That's a real shame, it was a great program.

Never had run vista myself, but was there not a win98/win2K compatibility mode?

you could write the "terminal prog" in Java You installed it allready for the Arduino IDE ....;)

In all likelihood if I have to go ahead and invent the wheel again, I’ll just do it in VB.

However, I find it amazing that with all the CNC machines out there being made, that nobody has needed a utility for this before…

sorry can't help - wrote me own

Well, irritation got the better of me, loaded up VB Express. This is precisely the type of thing VB is actually good for, slapping together a quick-and-dirty application without too much trouble. The Frankenbotic Serial Dumpsterizer v1.0 is born.

I'll post the executable/package as soon as I finish testing. One small problem I think's related to buffering on the PC side to work out quickly, but it works well... just need to finish a few tweaks after i get the kids some dinner.

just need to finish a few tweaks after i get the kids some dinner.

Well the kids can wait ;)

Will it have configurable baudrate?

Yes.. will be twiddling with it in a little while possibly.

To clarify, I'm rebuilding the app, because I cheated and pulled the MSCOMM v6 "swaperoo", and that's not cool. There's enough users out there that might end up using this that multithreading and non-blocking comms really ought to be done. If done with blocking calls and VB6, it can deadlock.. doing it right, once.. doesn't take that long, and it's been a long time since I did any VB anyway. Even on the MSDN forums, there's people who do 8051 development that need this thing too.

BAD wrappering on the new object model, but it will work. A little time and thought, and we'll have asynchronous synchrony, synchronicity itself.