G.P.S.-assisted traffic lights URGENT HELP NEEDED

I'm in the process of developing the above said project. The motivation of the project is to develop a system of traffic lights that changes its duration dynamically and without any human intervention. Based on the G.P.S., data obtained from the cellular devices and the G.P.S., sat-navs in the vehicles of users, the duration of the signal is changed.

I'm in a fix as to how to track the movement of multiple G.P.S., devices at a time using the Arduino libraries. Can somebody help me out, please?

Regards.

Is this a school project?

I'm in a fix as to how to track the movement of multiple G.P.S., devices at a time using the Arduino libraries.

AFAIK You cannot track GPS devices as they are essential receivers not (public) senders. So there is no way to count them.

vishalbaheti:
I'm in a fix as to how to track the movement of multiple G.P.S., devices at a time using the Arduino libraries. Can somebody help me out, please?

It is hard to reconcile that with the notion that the project is urgent. Don't commit to a deadline unless you know how to do the job.

...R

First determine how they will connect to the arduino.

Yes sir. This is a school project. And I just received a longer deadline. So I got time on my hands.

I went through the TinyGPS++ library and thought there was functionality in the library for me to make it. Thats why I thought this would make for a good project.

Can we use the Ethernet shield to send a message to the GPS device asking for permission to access its location? I was thinking maybe this route could yield some result.

vishalbaheti:
I went through the TinyGPS++ library and thought there was functionality in the library for me to make it.

But as rob said above…

robtillaart:
AFAIK You cannot track GPS devices as they are essential receivers not (public) senders. So there is no way to count them.

So each device with a GPS knows where itself is, but there’s no easy way to get it to transmit that fact to the rest of us or specifically to your traffic light system.

In the ham radio world, there’s APRS which is kind of what you want. There an APRS unit transmits its position, and so all the units in the world are visible.

BUT every APRS transmitter broadcasts the owner’s radio call sign: each owner needs to be a licenced radio ham.

This pic shows for example, some of my son’s travels today in his duties as a paramedic on Johannesburg’s roads. He’s a licenced ham though.

hugh aprs.JPG

Lots of different sports have apps that go on your phone and broadcast your position. Gliding, skiing, whatever.

My phone has a service that let's google know what highway I'm on and google sends me alerts for accidents and roadworks. (I did not sign up for the service; it just happens.)

So find an appropriate app, either posting to your own website or theirs and hook your traffic lights into that feed.

Vish,
What is your real objective? Track vehicles through the system to give them preference through the signals? Just to attempt to optimize the signal timing by counting vehicles arriving at a signal node? Or, some other scheme? if it is the second one (optimization), why do you need GPS?

You also need to be looking at many, many nodes in the system to either optimize timing, or provide priority to certain vehicles. Otherwise, all you are going to do is foul up the entire system timing and cause massive ‘grid-lock’.

123Splat:
Vish,
What is your real objective? Track vehicles through the system to give them preference through the signals? Just to attempt to optimize the signal timing by counting vehicles arriving at a signal node? Or, some other scheme? if it is the second one (optimization), why do you need GPS?

You also need to be looking at many, many nodes in the system to either optimize timing, or provide priority to certain vehicles. Otherwise, all you are going to do is foul up the entire system timing and cause massive 'grid-lock'.

Sir, my idea is optimisation. And I chose GPS due to the fact that almost every other mobile phone owner has his/her phone's GPS working most of the time. Moreover, when I'm trying to give them an optimisation technique without using much of their personal information, I think they'll coerce to the fact that I'm requesting access to their location via GPS.

“the fact that almost every other mobile phone owner has his/her phone’s GPS working most of the time.”
So 1/2 the folks have phone GPS enabled is what you are saying? Mine is off all the time, can’t see a satellite in my office, and my car has in-dash GPS, so I never use the phone GPS.

vishalbaheti:
.. I think they'll coerce to the fact that I'm requesting access to their location via GPS.

So how would you contact my phone/GPS, if I drive into your optimized system?

Do you believe Hollywood's 'it has a GPS, it can be tracked' ?

CrossRoads:
"the fact that almost every other mobile phone owner has his/her phone's GPS working most of the time."
So 1/2 the folks have phone GPS enabled is what you are saying? Mine is off all the time, can't see a satellite in my office, and my car has in-dash GPS, so I never use the phone GPS.

Even if I could achieve a 40-50% optimisation, that'd serve my purpose.

Whandall:
So how would you contact my phone/GPS, if I drive into your optimized system?

Do you believe Hollywood’s ‘it has a GPS, it can be tracked’ ?

That is also one road block I’ve hit into. I was thinking using the Ethernet shield I’d send a message asking a simple Yes/No question to access the mobile’s location.

And which address would you try to contact?

Doesn't Ethernet need a wired connection? I think you'd have to pair up with each phone in range via Wifi or Bluetooth.
I keep those turned off too to prevent annoyance contacts. An draining the battery when neither is in range.

vishalbaheti:
That is also one road block I've hit into. I was thinking using the Ethernet shield I'd send a message asking a simple Yes/No question to access the mobile's location.

I dont see anyone allowing that.

There have been divorces due to hubby leaving his gps turned on.

I leave wifi gps and bluetooth off unless i have a need as it significantly affects battery life.

There was something similar to do with school buses a while back , but it only works if the cellphone owners cooperate.

Traditional road sensing methods have been tuned over the years to give reliable sensing of traffic conditions.
With multiple intersections each can talk to another to optimise traffic flow.
Downside is extra work to install sensors.

For a project however i suggest you ask if it is allowable to have cooperation of the phone users.

That would make the project practical ans testable, and have plenty of work involved for a decent credit.

CrossRoads:
Doesn't Ethernet need a wired connection? I think you'd have to pair up with each phone in range via Wifi or Bluetooth.
I keep those turned off too to prevent annoyance contacts. An draining the battery when neither is in range.

Sir, I'm just trying to show another solution, however impractical it might seem.

And yes, Ethernet would require a wired connection. But I'm still not able to get the idea of how to connect every other device to the Arduino and process the data.

If you have any other better idea of harnessing the data, please help me with it. I'm all ears.

P.S.: I'm just a newbie to the world of Arduino, sir. But when I read about the Ethernet library, I thought maybe there was a chance of doing something of this kind.

Whandall:
And which address would you try to contact?

Whichever address I can access. I thought MAC address could serve the purpose.

If you can help me with some other unique address of a mobile phone, it'll help me.

I also found on the Arduiniana page that the TinyGPS++ library "provides compact and easy-to-use methods for extracting position, date, time, altitude, speed, and course from consumer GPS devices."

I thought with some of its functionality I could partially attaint he said objective. But as I'm new to this world, I'm requesting guidance.

The problem is not getting the location data - that is easy - what is hard is sharing the data with the traffic signal.