Game Console: Mutliple AVR work together

Hey guys,

I'm currently thinking about a simple "game console" project. Or maybe a simple Gameboy clone for my own written games. I don't have all the components together yet, but they are on their way.

My question is, if it is possible to run multiple avrs and every single chip has its own function.
For example, one chip calculates all the graphics and prepare them for output, one chip does all the audio thing etc..

My guess is communication via serial - but that could be probably too slow?!

For now, I only have my gamepad running, with an 8-Bit Shiftregister. Works exactly like the old NES Controller.
The graphics "engine" will be programmed, when the display arrives, otherwise it gets a little bit hard to debug :wink:

Is this something to work with, or are there better ways to do that?

Greetings from Germany
danqua

Take a look at this:

danqua:
Hey guys,
My question is, if it is possible to run multiple avrs and every single chip has its own function.
For example, one chip calculates all the graphics and prepare them for output, one chip does all the audio thing etc..

Yeah it is. There are 2 common protocols to connect multiple AVR, SPI protocol and I2C protocol. Both are well documented and have their pros and cons. SPI is faster but needs little more pins, instead I2C only uses 2 pins.

thanks!

I'm on vacations at the Moment. But I will check this out as soon as possible.