Newbie here that has only heard of Arduino recently but am interested in attempting some design of a couple things for around the house, and eventually running a low voltage lighting system inside the home as well as landscaping and possibly running irrigation in the future.
I would like my first project to be in the garage and handling the garage door as well as a proximity sensor for aiding in parking both my wife's car as well as mine perfectly in the garage each time.
This may sound difficult at first but I am thinking fairly feasible.
Design / Wants:
- Open/Close the Garage Door
- Verify Garage Door is Open/Close via a relay/light or better yet, through a web browser via the wifi or ethernet capability.
- I would like to have a set of LED's or Lights that would depict me to continue pulling forward and left or right depending on the cars orientation. I am guessing I would need some sensor that could measure the distance based on sonar/radar detection. I would like for it to be where I could use any car in the parking lot as long as I clear the garage door sensors so the garage door can close without obstruction.
- Of Course Web style controlling. (shutting door or monitoring status, via web browser on mobile device)
- Run the system off a clock and if the door is still open around midnight and no movement inside, automatically close the door or sound an alarm/light. Or maybe a no movement in 1-2 hours, sound an alarm/light before attempting to close the door.
A little background:
A hobbyist at heart, into Electric R/C Helicopters, Deal with electrical systems (relays, transformers, plc, etc.) during daily job, familiar and can solder, have a true rms DMM & AMProbe, will get a decent Hakko soldering station, and understand general basics of electrical components and code when it comes to amperage/awg/voltage.
Does this sound doable?
Which Arduino would best fit the project? I will of course have this in a control panel in the garage.