Garage Parking System & Door Controller

Newbie here that has only heard of Arduino recently but am interested in attempting some design of a couple things for around the house, and eventually running a low voltage lighting system inside the home as well as landscaping and possibly running irrigation in the future.

I would like my first project to be in the garage and handling the garage door as well as a proximity sensor for aiding in parking both my wife's car as well as mine perfectly in the garage each time.

This may sound difficult at first but I am thinking fairly feasible.

Design / Wants:

1. Open/Close the Garage Door
  2. Verify Garage Door is Open/Close via a relay/light or better yet, through a web browser via the wifi or ethernet capability.
  3. I would like to have a set of LED's or Lights that would depict me to continue pulling forward and left or right depending on the cars orientation. I am guessing I would need some sensor that could measure the distance based on sonar/radar detection. I would like for it to be where I could use any car in the parking lot as long as I clear the garage door sensors so the garage door can close without obstruction.

Would-Likes:

1. Of Course Web style controlling. (shutting door or monitoring status, via web browser on mobile device)
  2. Run the system off a clock and if the door is still open around midnight and no movement inside, automatically close the door or sound an alarm/light. Or maybe a no movement in 1-2 hours, sound an alarm/light before attempting to close the door.

A little background:

A hobbyist at heart, into Electric R/C Helicopters, Deal with electrical systems (relays, transformers, plc, etc.) during daily job, familiar and can solder, have a true rms DMM & AMProbe, will get a decent Hakko soldering station, and understand general basics of electrical components and code when it comes to amperage/awg/voltage.

Does this sound doable?

Which Arduino would best fit the project? I will of course have this in a control panel in the garage.

This may sound difficult at first but I am thinking fairly feasible.

How will a proximity sensor park your car perfectly? It is still up to the nut behind the wheel to make that happen.

1. Open/Close the Garage Door

At random times of day? You'll just wait for it to open to leave/enter?

1. Verify Garage Door is Open/Close via a relay/light or better yet, through a web browser via the wifi or ethernet capability.

Piece of cake.

1. I would like to have a set of LED's or Lights that would depict me to continue pulling forward and left or right depending on the cars orientation. I am guessing I would need some sensor that could measure the distance based on sonar/radar detection. I would like for it to be where I could use any car in the parking lot as long as I clear the garage door sensors so the garage door can close without obstruction.

A simple IR sensor at the garage door that turned a light on or off when the beam was unbroken could tell you that, for a specific car. Doing so for any kind of car requires a lot more lights/receivers.

1. Of Course Web style controlling.

Be sure to send us the URL so we can open and close your garage door at random times.

1. Run the system off a clock

Probably easier to use a battery.

and if the door is still open around midnight and no movement inside, automatically close the door or sound an alarm/light. Or maybe a no movement in 1-2 hours, sound an alarm/light before attempting to close the door.

All easy enough to do, given the right external hardware, such as a real time clock.

Which Arduino would best fit the project?

Any of them is capable. Adding a shield to some models is easier than other.