Gathering GPS co-ordinate by press of a button.

Hey guys, I was wondering if its possible to build a system in which we could get the GPS cordinate by the press of a button, rather than keeping a refresh rate, is it possible to keep GPS off all the time and switch on when the button is pressed for getting the present coordinates.Your answers would be a great deal of help to me

You mean turn off the receiver? That will force it to do a satellite acquisition each time you turn it on. It will be slow.

vikhy:
Hey guys, I was wondering if its possible to build a system in which we could get the GPS cordinate by the press of a button, rather than keeping a refresh rate, is it possible to keep GPS off all the time and switch on when the button is pressed for getting the present coordinates.Your answers would be a great deal of help to me

Depends on the GPS, how good the satellite reception is at the time and how long its been since the GPS was last powered up.

There are GPSs that once they have a fix can be powered down and will re-acquire ('hotfix') in as little as 2 seconds.

srnet:
There are GPSs that once they have a fix can be powered down and will re-acquire ('hotfix') in as little as 2 seconds.

As long as they have not been moved too far.

is it possible to keep GPS off all the time and switch on when the button is pressed for getting the present coordinates.

No, unless you are willing to wait up to 15 minutes, and have a clear view of the sky.

vikhy:

Well it would be a great deal of help to the Forum if you would be prepared to reveal exactly what you in mind or what the project actually was.

You have effectivly been given 3 answers, yes, no, and it depends. Given the limited details you provided, those are the sort of answers you can expect.

"Definitely maybe"