GDPR: will save the world, or kill the internet?

Continuing the discussion from https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=573657, mod be free to extrapolate the spammy message there and move them here

ballscrewbob: Actually my point of view is very valid.

Arduino being registered in the US and Switzerland. The US has differing views and standpoints on GDPR Switzerland also has some points to offer on the GDPR

Switzerland mostly adhere on the GDPR regulation, actually as you can imagine its privacy regulation are one of the most strict you can find.. There is a reason if most EU rich people put their money there

ballscrewbob: There are multiple stories of companies closing down European sites of operation due to the GDPR and multiple sites now blacklisting EU access to thier website along with many also doing a TAKE IT or LEAVE IT approach to site entry.

Web splintering caused for the most part by the EU in this instance.

Those website that closes are the one that make their living by spy on every step i do; super happy they will disappear, and be replaced by equivalent EU or EU-compliant company.

I can tell you even if i often end up on US websites, only a couple of big news website closed their door, sincerely I there are many more paywall websites.

The fact that now the company MUST tell if data has been stolen, and get severe punishment if want not handled correctly (and this is true for digital AND physical data), is something I believe will make internet a better place, as company like Equifax would be basically killed, instead of left asking for more money selling "insurance" on the data they leak (In italy we call that "pizzo", but i think in US is more known under the name of "protection racket")

lestofante

Clearly you did not read the Swiss link properly. Going to guess that neither did the other poster.

It's all a plot to generate income for lawyers and generate soundbites for politicians. Neither industry nor the general public will come out any better.

@westfw

Some people are much too short sighted to even look around the corner. The other poster suggested that you cannot trade with the EU unless you are part of it. Guess the EU is going short on so many xmas imported goodies based on those types of wild assumption.

Agree that nobody gets any real benefit from crazy actions like these except the rich. The idea was great "in principle" but lacks depth.

Delta_G: Just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't mean that they are attacking you. Your last name isn't Trump is it?

So when you cant get on your favourite web sites because you do not accept thier policy please dont come running here and cry foul. In essence that's about the lowest they can go.

"Dont like it fine go look elsewhere we are complying with your rule thing." will be the new benchmark.

to me this seems like a personal offense, making "the cry" out of me, but again as i said "Maybe is my broken english" and taht is something common to say.

Clearly you did not read the Swiss link properly.

i did, and that does not change the fact that this site, to be served in EU, should be GDPR compliant.

but still I quote the relevant part:

1. The GDPR applies to data processing by Swiss companies if they deliver goods or provide services to end customers in the EU – WRONG or INACCURATE It is not the provision of goods or services that triggers the applicability of the GDPR. Rather, the offering of goods or services (with or without a payment) to end customers (individuals) in the EU (or in the EEA) makes the corresponding processing of personal data subject to the GDPR

Arduino.cc offer shop, forum, downloads, and probably some more service i can't think off right now, to EU citizen, thus it should follow the GDPR

The other poster suggested that you cannot trade with the EU unless you are part of it.

who said that? :o

edit: maybe you mean this:

If Arduino team want do an "ArduExit" there is no problem, a company can do all that it want, but if Arduino want remain in the EU market it must respect the GDPR

he is wrong; you can get a permaban on data processing, but probably you can still sell trough a 3rd party. Probably the same apply for all other services

westfw:
It’s all a plot to generate income for lawyers and generate soundbites for politicians.

i wold agree if we would be speaking of article 11 and 13 of the Copyright Directive.

westfw:
Neither industry nor the general public will come out any better.

I believe is a great conquer for the general public: finally the era of password saved in cleartext or thousand of person data leak NOT disclosed will come to an end, or at least there will be hard consequences.
Starting from big firms, many are already under scrutiny.

If some decide to geoblock EU, then will even be better for EU economy as local alternative will take their place

Free eBook: GDPR for Dummies: What It Is, What to Expect and How to Prepare (the link showed up on facebook. I haven't actually looked at it yet. Netwrix appears to provide auditing software for buzzword, buzzword, and other buzzwords.)

LOL it wants an email addy to sign for it...thats not going to go down well with a couple of people :D ;D :D ;D

@lestofante

If some decide to geoblock EU, then will even be better for EU economy as local alternative will take their place

That is a very naive understanding of the present global economy and a bigger estimation of European market than it deserves considering the crumbling nature of it's present state. Sounds like an isolationist POV to be honest.

The eventually want a phone number and company info as well. But they have a privacy statement and a cookie warning, so I’m sure it’s fine.