Geared stepper motor

I found this geared stepper motor on robotshop and I am confused as to what maximum torque it can give: http://www.robotshop.com/en/geared-bipolar-stepper-motor-3v-555-oz-in.html

It says 48 kg-cm of torque in the specs, but in the description is says a maximum of 250 kg-cm of geared torque and 48 kg-cm or continuous rotation torque and 100 kg-cm for brief overloads.

It is a geared stepper motor so I'm guessing it can do 250 kg-cm of holding toque and not massively damage the motors, I'm not sure though. If it's just 48 kg-cm of holding torque then it's no use to me!

Anyone know?

The description is quite clear, the motor+gears can in theory generate 250 kg-cm
(24.5 Nm) but that is more than the gears can stand, so its quite capable of destroying
itself if you overload the output. The continuous torque rating of 48 kg-cm (4.7 Nm) is
the value to use.

Put another way the 250 kg-cm value just means the motor itself is rated at 2.5 kg-cm
(0.25 Nm)

(in other words they have put an inadequate gearbox on the motor!)

MarkT:
The description is quite clear...in other words they have put an inadequate gearbox on the motor!

After reading the description myself, you are quite correct! I wonder how many people break those?

I had a DC gear-motor (purchased surplus for $10.00) that easily generated enough torque to break it's output gear when stalled (steel gears, too); I found this out the hard way. I contacted the sales rep for the company that currently manufactures the motors, and they could sell me replacement gears, but they had a minimum order quantity of 50 pieces, at $7.00 USD each! I passed on that, and purchased another motor instead.

With a 99.5:1 reduction gear as a stack of epicyclic stages the last stage will be
taking much more torque than the others, the design is rather a compromise.