Geeetech Voice Module + Pro Micro = :(

Hey all,

Looking for some advice please...

I'm trying to hook up the Geeetech Voice Module to the Pro Micro using the TX/RX pins on the Arduino (1 & 0 respectively) but am having no luck getting the module to work.

From the vr_sample_check_baud_rate example with pins changed:

#include "VoiceRecognitionV3.h"  
/**        
 * Connection
 * Arduino    VoiceRecognitionModule
 * 2   ------->     TX
 * 3   ------->     RX
 */
VR myVR(0,1);    // 2:RX 3:TX, you can choose your favourite pins.

Gives a Serial output:
Check baud rate failed.
Please check the connection, and reset arduino

Tried using Softwareserial.h to assign other pins, still the same.

Is the Pro Micro even able to use this module? I can't find anything that helps, and have searched around a lot.

Any ideas/pointers/help ??

Hardware serial uses pins 0 and 1, these allow the pro micro to communicate with the PC. The VR class has software serial built in and needs to use two different pins to allow it to communicate with the pro micro.

Use pins 2 and 3 as per the sketch comments.

Martin-X:
Hardware serial uses pins 0 and 1, these allow the pro micro to communicate with the PC. The VR class has software serial built in and needs to use two different pins to allow it to communicate with the pro micro.

Use pins 2 and 3 as per the sketch comments.

Not on a 32U4 based board like the pro micro.

pwhitrow:
I'm trying to hook up the Geeetech Voice Module to the Pro Micro using the TX/RX pins on the Arduino (1 & 0 respectively) but am having no luck getting the module to work.

The pro micro comes in two versions, 3.3V/8MHz and 5V/16MHz. The Geetech is a 5V module, so if you have the 3.3V pro micro, it might explain the problem.

No experience with either, so can't help much further.

Thanks for replying both. It's the 5v Pro Micro

Anyone else wade in?

I should clarify, I did try pins 2/3 before but that didn't work either

I can’t think of a reason why this would not work with Pro Micro. I don’t have that vr module but I have used Pro Micro and they are the same as other Arduino in most respects, except the different but closely related chips.

Have you tested the vr module with any other Arduino? E.g. Uno/Nano.

Have you got the RX & TX connections between the Arduino and the module crossed? If not I suspect you should have, ie. TX from Arduino goes to RX on the module.

The wires are correct mate, I'm baffled too! Haven't tried with a different board yet but may do that.

A Gurgle search for "VoiceRecognitionV3.h" finds a Github library for a voice recognition module made by Elechouse. If that's what you are using then it won't work.

OK, thanks for that mate, it may well be the one. Would you care to elaborate on your answer, eg why not?

The sample sketch on the Geetech website is sending some initialisation codes to the module, I don't see that in the VoiceRecognitionV3 library.

just looked for that but can't find it, do you have a link bud?

Here it is http://www.geeetech.com/wiki/index.php/Arduino_Voice_Recognition_Module

Cheers dude