General Electronics sub topic

I have noticed a few people lately that have been hammered for posting non Arduino related electronics questions in this topic. I would like to suggest a sub topic for these posts. I know what it is like to be a newbie as I am sure a lot of you can also relate to.

If required I would take on the moderation of that Topic.

Whats your thoughts?

I think it's a reasonable suggestion but not one I agree with. The forum is General Electronics, to me that means electronics for anything, not just Arduino. If someone has a go at a poster for asking non-Arduino electronics question then they should be pulled up for their comments.

I also think this should have been posted in website and forum, not here.

Agreed.

General Electronics is General Electronics

windoze_killa:
I have noticed a few people lately that have been hammered for posting non Arduino related electronics questions in this topic.

Did you report the "hammering"?

I must say I don't agree with asking questions about non-Arduino projects on this "Arduino" Forum. The Arduino folks have to pay for the servers and the bandwith.

Next thing someone will be suggesting a section for childcare questions or knitting patterns.

I interpret "General" as in General Electronics and General Discussion to mean Arduino related questions that don't fit in other sections.

Bar Sport is fair game for non-Arduino comments - but it is intended to be the equivalent of a tea-break from serious work.

...R

Robin2:
I must say I don't agree with asking questions about non-Arduino projects on this "Arduino" Forum. The Arduino folks have to pay for the servers and the bandwith.

Next thing someone will be suggesting a section for childcare questions or knitting patterns.
...R

Arduino and electronics are closely related thing, childcare and knitting have nothing to do with either electronics or Arduino (awaits someone posting a link to a knitted Arduino enclosure).

Where do you draw the line between Arduino related general electronics and non-Arduino related general electronics? Someone asking about wiring LEDs up correctly isn't asking about Arduino, but LEDs and Arduino can be used with each other. What about a washing machine controller? Maybe someone might decide to build their own with Arduino or maybe they are just fixing the one they have.

Could not give this my support as there are already (IMHO) too many sections.

What has been suggested is already covered in a multitude of other sections that are more suitable for the task.

Bob.

PerryBebbington:
What about a washing machine controller? Maybe someone might decide to build their own with Arduino or maybe they are just fixing the one they have.

Been done to death

PerryBebbington:
Arduino and electronics are closely related thing,

So are electronics and Ham radio, or electronics and PIC microcontrollers - why don't they ask their questions on one of those Forums?

There are probably also Forums dedicated to electronics.

...R

The operative word is “General”.

Robin2:
So are electronics and Ham radio, or electronics and PIC microcontrollers - why don't they ask their questions on one of those Forums?
...R

Do you know that they don't?

PerryBebbington:
Do you know that they don't?

You mean they are wasting our time by asking the same question in several places? :slight_smile:

...R

Probably!
Anyway, I've got this problem with my washing machine.... :o

PerryBebbington:
Anyway, I’ve got this problem with my washing machine… :o

Have you tried turning it off and on again? :wink:

wildbill:
Have you tried turning it off and on again? :wink:

How do I do that? Do I need a MOSFET? How do I wire it to my breadboard? Does it need a diode? I've got terrible pains in the diodes down my left side.

PerryBebbington:
Probably!
Anyway, I've got this problem with my washing machine.... :o

Having just recently suggested to a poster that we (or at least many of us) are happy to work on problems with antique microprocessor devices that are not Arduino (rather than trying to retrofit an Arduino to such a vintage device which has a simple fault), I feel that "General Electronics" is just fine. :grinning:

And like ballscrewbob, I feel that there are plenty of categories at least in the English/ American group. I am only able practically to monitor four categories as it is unless I retire or clone myself. :roll_eyes:

So there’s a thing, if you clone yourself is the other you you or is he someone else? And does he think he’s you and that you are someone else?

The general expectation is that the clone does all the nasty and tedious stuff (such as earning money). :grinning:

I never found earning money tedious, I just made sure I was always doing a job that interested me.