General feasibility question using Arduino as GPS station

Hello everyone, this is my first post here in the forum, so I hope I’ll do everything according to your rules.
I’m basically a mechanical engineer and have only little experience with electrotechnical magic, so I hope you’ll forgive me if I’ll use any wrong terms whatsoever :slight_smile:

So I’m planning to use an Arduino Pro Micro 3.3V as a GPS station to log the position for multiple days (approx. around 2 weeks). I want to log the position with a GPS receiver from Sparkfun (SparkFun GPS-RTK Board - NEO-M8P-2 (Qwiic) - GPS-15005 - SparkFun Electronics), store the data in a SD card via an SD card shield (MicroSD card breakout board+ : ID 254 : $7.50 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits), and also transmit it via Xbee to my computer
(https://www.digi.com/products/xbee-rf-solutions/sub-1-ghz-modules/digi-xbee-sx-868).

The Arduino should be the center of the whole system; The GPS receiver and the Xbee are planned to be connected via UART(since there is only 1 serial port, I would declare 2 other pins as Serial with the SoftwareSerial library), and the SD card is connected to the Arduino via SPI.

To keep my power supply (essentially 8 Panasonic NCR18650B accumulators connected in parallel) alive as long as possible, I want the Arduino to collect, store and transmit data for 2 minutes and then to go into sleep-mode for 10 minutes, where GPS receiver, Xbee and SD card are switched off as well. For that, I have to power these peripherals via the Arduino itself, which I’m not sure if it’s possible: I have read that the input/output pins on Arduinos are rated at max. 40 mA at 3.3V, but for example the Xbee - which is claimed to work on Arduinos as well, can pull up to 55 mA according to its datasheet. Same story with the SD card, which can reach peak values of 200 mA or the GPS receiver as well with 70 mA. Now, I’ve seen many tutorials where they still use exactly these components, and I wonder if I’m missing something, or I got just unlucky with the choice of my components?

In case this wouldn’t work, I’m planning to power GPS receiver, XBee and SD Card directly from my power supply. To bring the whole system into sleep mode, I would use an external timer circuit from adafruit (Adafruit TPL5111 Low Power Timer Breakout : ID 3573 : $5.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits). But here as well, I’ll have to find out what the maximum current rates are - if you guys know that by any chance I would be glad for your help, otherwise I’ll just ask in the adafruit community.

I would be happy for any kind of feedback regarding feasability, better solutions from your side and especially inputs regarding my dilemma with the current ratings on Arduino’s pins.

Thanks!