General help on led circuit

Hi there, first of all I'm relatively new to using Arduino and electronics in general so please bare with me.

So the circuit I'm trying to create is for dynamic lights, using bi color leds, I've tried coming up with the best way to approach this project but would like some help with it (since i need it)

I've attached an image of the layout i would like to use (bare with me I'm new to using this stuff, please go easy)

Basically I would like to use an Arduino as the main unit, and have two additional controllers which output when told to by the Arduino. For example, when the Arduino is told to it will send a signal to one of the led controllers, that led controller will then output 5v to the necessary pins in order, however i would like this output to be customizable, such as light up in order with a delay between each (essentially dynamic lights). I'm sure there is an alternate way to complete this, any help would be appreciated.

Also the pins on the led controllers are as follows (I forgot to include on the diagram)
1-8 the 5v output
9 the input signal
10 ground
11 5v input.

Also if someone could help me in designing the led controllers I would appreciate that as i have no clue how to do that either.

What are the part numbers for those controllers?

Google "arduino" + that part number. There may be pages showing how others have used the controller.

groundFungus:
What are the part numbers for those controllers?

Google "arduino" + that part number. There may be pages showing how others have used the controller.

Those controllers arnt actually a thing yet, bit they're what I'd need to create this, does something like this exist or would it be something id have to create myself? And does it seem like something that can be done?

Take a look at this example.

I've used 6 daisy-chained MAX6968 chips which use similar 3-wire serial addressing to drive/control 48 LEDs. (Or, there are other similar chips.)

Feeding +5 to Vin will not work. Connect +5 to UNO pin 5 volt.
Don't use D1 for I/O. It is used for downloading code and debugging.

DVDdoug:

I've used 6 daisy-chained MAX6968 chips which use similar 3-wire serial addressing to drive/control 48 LEDs. (Or, there are other similar chips.)

This looks perfect, can you let me know where you purchased this chip? Thank you

DVDdoug:

ive just had a look and apparently the 74HC595 can only handle up to 6ma? this seems quite low given that most LEDS operate at 20ma. Also the LEDS i would like to use operate at 700ma. So i dont think this chip will be a viable solution.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.