General info

Hello All,

Firstly i am just about to start in the world of Arduino so excuse if what i am asking is already available.

I would like to build up one of the RADAR projects i see dotted around the web but would appreciate some advice.

For this type of project what drives the computer screen output ? i.e. the nice sweeping display, is there a computer programme required in addition to the Arduino sketch or does the arduio also drive the compuer screen output (not just the data but also the presentation display)

Will any transducer do for the available sketches ? or are the sketches specific to certain frequency transducers ( i can get a 40khz transducer from Maplins )

Once working is it possible to programme in say a 30 sec initial period after which any detected objects are considered background i.e. of no interest then only new objects are represented on the screen.

Thanks in advance for any input

The 40kHz devices are sonar units, not radar. For the display, look at Processing - it's based on Java and is quite simple to program.

Ah yes i think radar is being used as a general term. All the examples i see seem to use sonar.
Can you point me in the direction of an example processing link i searched the arduino site but it linked me the google search function. I am a complete newbie to programming but think if i can see an example of things i can figure it out.

Think i found something which will help on the instructables site

Processing is a programming language that runs on the PC. Your Arduino, with rangefinder attached, communicates with the Processing program via a serial port. The Processing program can then graphically display the data.

nb1914: Think i found something which will help on the instructables site

That would be a miracle.

Thanks all,

I looked on instructables as i cant find on the this website "examples>communication" ? my surfing skills are about as good as my programming skills.

Maybe they are referring to the examples that come with the Arduino IDE. In File, Examples there is a Communications heading.

groundfungus: Processing is a programming language that runs on the PC.

Not really.

It is not a programming language but a Java IDE with some standard system code, just like the Arduino system is for C++.