General Project Guidance questions.

Completely new to Arduino. Have a background in Automation design and build but mostly industrial, ladder logic, PLC stuff. Very little on the programming side of things mostly on the mechanical side. Some background in general program but very "Newbie'ish" at best. Web sites, BASIC, some C++ and HTML.

I'm currently going thru the projects and reading Massimo Banzi's book "Getting Started with Arduino"

My first project I would like to do would gather several different temperatures from a few locations, track and take an action (Turn a motor on off) based on light/Lux, and track wind speed. Gather and save all this data on an SD card and then transfer this data, occasionally, via wi-fi to a laptop.

I've been looking at several of these projects individually and hopefully I'm not getting to far in over my head.

I'm just looking for any additional direction as far as things to watch out for, potential pit falls or references to similar projects.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

MJuric: Completely new to Arduino. Have a background in Automation design and build but mostly industrial, ladder logic, PLC stuff. Very little on the programming side of things mostly on the mechanical side. Some background in general program but very "Newbie'ish" at best. Web sites, BASIC, some C++ and HTML.

I'm currently going thru the projects and reading Massimo Banzi's book "Getting Started with Arduino"

My first project I would like to do would gather several different temperatures from a few locations, track and take an action (Turn a motor on off) based on light/Lux, and track wind speed. Gather and save all this data on an SD card and then transfer this data, occasionally, via wi-fi to a laptop.

I've been looking at several of these projects individually and hopefully I'm not getting to far in over my head.

I'm just looking for any additional direction as far as things to watch out for, potential pit falls or references to similar projects.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi Mjuric, Everything you mention can be done with an Arduino, but probably not as a first project. I would advise tackling each sensor/actuator separately at first. For example, build a circuit that would start/stop a motor, or read a temperature. Then after you are more comfortable working within the Arduino world, link your projects together. Also, while you may eventually want a small board permanently mounted, start with a larger machine, like a UNO, and a breadboard, or proto-shield. This way you will be able to reuse parts from projects without too much trouble. And most of all, have fun! (And please report back here with your progress.)

I would advise tackling each sensor/actuator separately at first. For example, build a circuit that would start/stop a motor, or read a temperature.

That was my plan. I bought an Uno starter kit and have just been playing with sketches, turning lights on/off, etc etc. My biggest concern was the "Put them all together". More then once while building automation I've run into not having enough I/O's etc. Going from "Light on off" to what I eventually want to get to is a pretty big leap and did not want to get to the point of putting it all together and find out I couldn't get there from here.

Thanks for the input.

You may find something useful in Planning and Implementing a Program although it was not written for complete beginners.

…R