Genuino Uno Programmer is not responding

Hi,

I'm new to this, but i got some problems i can't seem to solve on my own. I have the verry annoying Programmer is not rsponding error. I have an Genuino Uno Arduino 1.8.0 Win 7 Pro

When i plug the Uno in to my PC the "L" Led or pin 13 starts flashing. So that seems to be ok. But when i try to upload the blink sketch i get this error:

avrdude: Version 6.3, compiled on Dec 16 2016 at 13:33:19 Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/ Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Bas\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port : COM3 Using Programmer : arduino Overriding Baud Rate : 115200 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x88 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x88 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x88 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x88 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x88 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x88 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x88 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x88 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x88 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x88

I double checked everything. IDE is setup correct, right port. drivers are up to date. Tried to reset, 1 sec before upload, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and so on... Nothing works. But it seems that the board functions normaly, becaus i have an flashing L led....

PLease help, i'm not getting anywhere... I only have the starter kit, and i'm a real noob in this.

Thanks in advance

Bas

Try the following.

Make sure you have selected the right board. To check click on Tools >Board.Make sure Arduino Uno is selected.

Thanks, but thats not where the problem is. Ok, i'm a newbe, but i checked and double checked if there was anything wrong with my settings. I'm sure they are just right. I start to think that it has something to do with the reset voodoo... I cant seem to get the right time to reset the board. I tried every thing i could figure out myself, various intervals of resetting the board before uploading, while uploading, after the verify before, right in between... It's seem to be a really small window to get it right. Is there an way to reset the board in code before u upload the stuf? i mean, can i write my code in a way that the first thing it has to do is reset itself, and then starts uploading.

I'm getting really frustrated here, I was planning on building such cool projects, and now i'm 2 weeks messing arround with a board that doesn't program.... If i need to buy other hardware to get what i want there is no problem, but i need to know that it's gonna work. It doesn't seem to be allright to buy an new board if there is nothing wrong with this one and face the same problems with the new board. it's a wast of hardware, time and money...

Please help...

1. So your board is recognized by your PC (otherwise it wouldn’t show a COM port) but: double check in device manager what happens when you plug in the board/USB cable and open the detected device and see, what COM port was assigned to it (if you have multiple devices on USB, sometimes people selected the wrong COM port)

2. Did you set the programmer to “ArduinoISP”? (“Arduino as ISP” is wrong).

rpt007: 1. So your board is recognized by your PC (otherwise it wouldn't show a COM port) but: double check in device manager what happens when you plug in the board/USB cable and open the detected device and see, what COM port was assigned to it (if you have multiple devices on USB, sometimes people selected the wrong COM port)

Did what u said, i 100% sure it's the right com. i even changed the portnumber multiple times. I'm always getting the right com in the IDE. There are no other USB devices connected to my pc.

rpt007: 2. Did you set the programmer to "ArduinoISP"? ("Arduino as ISP" is wrong).

For a moment i hoped u just solved my problem. Yet, it's still there. It was set to AVR ISP. could i've F'ed up my chip? by using the wrong programmer? I still have the (pre installed) Blink sketch running when i hook the Arduino to a power suply.

Do i need to try it with the reset voodoo? and so, when do i push reset?

I just did the Loop Back test. That does what it's supposed to do...

AH man i'm getting so frustrated about this...

AH man i'm getting so frustrated about this...

I can understand fully what you mean. But in most cases it ends up like you find in my signature that the problem is sitting in front of the screen -> like I did when starting with Arduinos :)

It was set to AVR ISP. could i've F'ed up my chip? by using the wrong programmer?

No, I don't think so as it did apparently nothing giving back only the error code.

So you excluded another source of failure - the USB cable by doing the loop back test. A lot of times the cable is causing the trouble. There seem so many faulty cables out there; even when thy seem to work with other devices, some cables won't work with an Arduino, seems to be a "diva problem". So if you got another cable, give it a try first.

Let's go to learn something more about potential issues in your configuration: 1. Did you select the right board in the tools section (Uno/Genuino)? 2. Do you have a USB hub in the loop between PC and Arduino? If so, the hub should be powered and USB 2.0 (NOT 3.0!). 3. If your Windows system is not stable anymore, that could cause timing issues while the AVR program (the one behind the scenes of the Arduino programming) tries to establish a communication layer. So, if you have a chance to try the configuration on another PC - if all of the above fails, try to do that and see if the error walks along with the new setup.

In addition to my previous reply: Here is a very informative link which in answer "25" gives a very comprehensive idea, what's behind the avrdude error message and what might be the error causes:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19765037/arduino-sketch-upload-issue-avrdude-stk500-recv-programmer-is-not-respondi