Get Link Status and Link Speed from Shield?

I need to pull the status of both Link and 10/100 Status into the Arduino. I understand the shield has these lights on it but wanted to get the info into my programming. Thanks.

I understand the shield has these lights on it but wanted to get the info into my programming.

Can we assume that you are talking about the official WiFi shield? On the other hand, why should we?

Yes the official shield

I presume the official ethernet shield with the w5100 ethernet controller. The wifi shield does not use 10/100. If so, there is no way to get the link status or speed. The w5200 has the link status capability, but not speed. The connection speed is limited by the Arduino SPI bus speed, not the network.

I just looked and it has the 5100 Chipset. However I'm confused then?

The shield itself HAS a l*ink light* AND a 10/100 Light AND a Full duplex light AND a Collision light, and a few other lights as well..... I want access to those lights (lit or unlit status) IN the programming... I will manually solder a jumper from the lights and into an input if that's what I have to do to read their status!

LOL I was hoping for a MUCH better less Janky way to get at the info VS soldering to the shield and burning my precious IO's :)

This is my project link, if that gives you a better Idea what I'm trying to accomplish.. http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=207029.0

The shield itself HAS a link light AND a 10/100 Light AND a Full duplex light AND a Collision light, and a few other lights as well..... I want access to those lights (lit or unlit status) IN the programming... I will manually solder a jumper from the lights and into an input if that's what I have to do to read their status!

Then you need to get out the old soldering iron. That is the only way you can do it with the w5100.

I suggest you look at the w5100 chip data sheet and see what is available. As the board has some of desired lights, there may be a way to get the digital state of the lights from the w5100 chip via software.

Writing software for the 5100 chip is WAY outside my skill set. So soldering Iron it IS! :)

Was hoping there was a command I was missing, or a library I could install. Thanks for the invaluable info guys!! :)

zoomkat: I suggest you look at the w5100 chip data sheet and see what is available. As the board has some of desired lights, there may be a way to get the digital state of the lights from the w5100 chip via software.

Hi zoomkat! I already looked. According to the w5100 datasheet, it is not possible to determine those states by software. The w5200 allows your code to determine whether the physical interface is up or down, but that is all. The w5100 doesn't even have that. :(