get Speed Limit of an Area to Arduino

Is it possible to get Speed limit of the location through GPS receiver(Adafruit GPS Ultimate Breakout)?
if not how can I put this in the source code. How can i use Google Map API in Arduino?

Search for google maps API
Although i’m not sure they have speed limits freely available,
You may have to subscribe to some service to get that info.

if we will be using Google maps API, should the microcontroller be connected to the internet?

Can you obtain speed limit value of a location using the longitude and latitude value obtained by the GPS receiver?
or is it possible to manually define the speed limit of the specific location in arduino.

jbanayo:
if we will be using Google maps API, should the microcontroller be connected to the internet?

Yes,

Another possibility is to have an SD card in the Arduino with (subset of) all the speed limits per GPS location.
Don't know where to get the data?

loop()
{
location = GPS();
speedlimit = getSpeedFromSD(location);
display(speedlimit);

// other automotive code here
}

Maybe a more innovative option: (not foolproof but interesting challenge

• let the Arduino determine your speed and GPS coordinates.
  • if there is no max speed for these GPS coordinates let the Arduino store your current speed
    on the SD card as the speed limit (optionally after a keypress)

This will be a sort of self learning system, in the begin it might be a bit annoying,
but it will learn as you drive

You can fill your database with a few generic speed limits like in this table

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Speed_limits#Country_code.2Fcategory_conversion_table

Moderator: merged same topics (double posts are not appreciated, see guidelines)

robtillaart:
Moderator: merged same topics (double posts are not appreciated, see guidelines)

Duly Noted. excuse for my ignorance.

robtillaart:
You can fill your database with a few generic speed limits like in this table

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Speed_limits#Country_code.2Fcategory_conversion_table

I'm interested in this method. Inserting the speed limit in a table. how will this be possible, how can i put the map(in what format) in the SD?

jbanayo:
I'm interested in this method. Inserting the speed limit in a table. how will this be possible, how can i put the map(in what format) in the SD?

Any format that fits your design / application.

What level is your design and database knowledge?

i will be using Arduino 2560 and a Adafruit Breakout GPS receiver for this application

i have little knowledge in database but i am willing to learn to make the project work

The real challenge comes after you get tired of matching an ‘area’ to a street and direction to reliably match speed zones across a constantly varying map database. (e.g. Google traffic, SUNA)

I haven’t done it, but the solutions i’ve seen use a combination of detailed map/street data and best-fit vector tables to each street with the various data overlays (speed, one-way) etc.
It’s an interesting study discipline in itself.

robtillaart:
Any format that fits your design / application.

What level is your design and database knowledge?

i will be using Arduino 2560 and a Adafruit Breakout GPS receiver for this application

i have little knowledge in database but i am willing to learn to make the project work

jbanayo:

The best way to learn DB is to read a good introductionary book, but a few evenings on yourtube will also learn you the basics.

Getting a good design for what you want os far from trivial, so take your time to learn.

How can i use Google Map API with only a GPS receiver and a downloaded Google Map api and saved into an SD card Module.

I'm not familiar with the Google Maps API specifically.... but I'm not sure thats how it will work.

The API.. is for making 'calls' to send/request data to their 'service'....

So unless you have some way to make these API calls... I dont think you have many options.

What exactly are you attempting to do?

In my mind the GPS will be good to get some lat/lon coords for you... but for you to plot a marker or plot a 'trail' of locations.. you'd need to send this data the Google map service/API...

How are you planning on viewing this map?

when we used OSM and Google API at university we found the best way to access the data was to use a web service script on a server which just printed out the data in either Json or CSV for things like points of interest, Seeing as you already know your position with the gsm module and a Arduino is not powerful enough to display a map in real time so i assume you just want to get the current point of interest "POI" or "Markers" for you given location, so i would make a PHP script that receives your current latitude and longitude and get the OSM or Google marker list which is accessible to anyone NOTE its massive and its in CSV format there's no way a Arduino or even a raspberry pi would run the list so your going to either have to download it to your computer and runa server or rent a server and query it as not many servers will let you install it OSM POI list

xl97:
I'm not familiar with the Google Maps API specifically.... but I'm not sure thats how it will work.

The API.. is for making 'calls' to send/request data to their 'service'....

So unless you have some way to make these API calls... I dont think you have many options.

What exactly are you attempting to do?

In my mind the GPS will be good to get some lat/lon coords for you... but for you to plot a marker or plot a 'trail' of locations.. you'd need to send this data the Google map service/API...

How are you planning on viewing this map?

i plan on using the map to determine my location and then determine the speed limit of an area. so basically, just by using the acquired longitude and latitude from the GPS then calls the program from the API to determine the location

Are you trying to do a geo location look up?

(I'm still not clear on what Google maps or the API have to do with anything.... unless your just using it to send the lat/lon coords to, and get a 'response'? in the form of....? An address?)

Are you implying you'll be/or want to see this 'visually' on a map? I read your comments like you want to do this in 'real-time'? Not log a bunch of GPS coords as you drive around, to a .txt file on an SD card....and then parse this data later using Google maps to 'see' your location 'history'?

I agree with Kawasaki.. (if you could gain some sort of wifi connection, or SMS service to send/receive texts).. then a PHP script hosted on some server somewhere, that does all the work and just send you back the info/data you are looking for would be best.

Do you have a link to this API that you 'downloaded'?

@jbanayo, stop cross-posting. Last warning.

Threads merged. Again.