Getting 12 Volts and 7 Amps to two encoder motors

Intent: I am working on a project in which I need to turn on two encoder motors for a certain number or revolutions stop for an amount of time then reverse the direction (opening and closing a hand valve). I was unaware of the power limitations of Arduino and am Curious how I can get 7 amps of current to my motors at 12 volt and still control through the Arduino.

Current Hardware:
*https://www.digikey.com/htmldatasheets/production/2063851/0/0/1/fit0185.html 2 45kgcm motors
voltage: 12v, stall current: 7 Amps
*Arduino uno rev 3
*Arduino motor shield rev 3 ( 2 amp max per channel, overlooked this spec initially)
*12v 20Amp power supply that plugs into the wall

My question: what would be the most simple piece of hardware (to supply 7A to each motor if need be) that I can purchase to make my project work as intended with the current hardware I have?

Any and all feedback is appreciated and I apologize if this has been discussed already feel free to direct me to past forums or sites that would be of use!

The most simple source for 12 volts DC would be the 12 volt battery from your vehicle.
Paul

Paul_KD7HB:
The most simple source for 12 volts DC would be the 12 volt battery from your vehicle.
Paul

I have the power source figured out, I need hardware that I can hook the power source up to with out frying the board/arduino

justin_jessop:
I have the power source figured out, I need hardware that I can hook the power source up to with out frying the board/arduino

Sorry, can't help there. Why is it a problem?
Paul

These are popular with DIYers, never used one myself so can't attest to quality or fitness for your application.

Pololu has a good selection of motor drivers (you will need two).

This one can easily handle one of your motors.

This one should work too, if you use the two output channels in parallel.

I have used the BTS7960 43A High Power Motor Driver in many applications, it works great. If you are not in a hurry they can be gotten for less then $6.00 from your favorite china supplier. I use them to drive large banks of LEDs, usually as a high side driver because the upper FET has the lowers RDSon. You need to supply 5V, the Arduino 5V is fine. You can also monitor the current of your motor from pin R/L_RS pin. I would suggest you download the bTS7960 datasheet it has a lot of information that would help you.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.