Getting 3.7V from Lilypad

Hello,

I require a 3.7V line out of a Lilypad, and noticed that it breaks out +/-, but AFTER the MIC5219 brings it down to 3.3 (see: Lilypad Schematic)

I have two thoughts on approach, and would like to ask what the Arduino community thinks:

1. Since the Atmega32u4 can handle up to 6V input, I could take off the MIC5219, and just make connections from In -> Out, and BP to GND.

2. I could put the LiPo onto my 2nd board and take 3.7 directly from there, and then have a 2-pin JST connector go from that board to the header on the Lilypad. Would this cause issues for charging? or would this be totally ok?

Any thoughts / comments would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

I would take the “3.7V” directly from the battery, but the voltage will vary. It does not matter where the battery is located, as long as it is connected properly to the Lilypad.

jremington:
It does not matter where the battery is located, as long as it is connected properly to the Lilypad.

Really? It was my understanding that the battery itself should be as close to the MCP73831 as possible for charging. Is this incorrect?

As long as you use reasonably heavy wires to the battery pack, in other words, "connected properly", there is no problem.
The data sheet for the MCP73831 is your best resource. It says:

For optimum voltage regulation, place the battery pack
as close as possible to the device’s VBAT and VSS pins.
This is recommended to minimize voltage drops along
the high current-carrying PCB traces.

Excellent, this is very appreciated -- thank you very much!