Getting a gps to work with an arduino MEGA

Hi all,

I have been having a TON of trouble getting a GPS to work with an arduino mega. I have had 0 success, and have spent dozens of hours, I have tried 2 different GPS’s and every bit of code I could find online. Here are the 2 GPS’s I have:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221387111644?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

http://www.fut-electronics.com/wp-content/plugins/fe_downloads/Uploads/Connecting%20Skylab%20SKM53%20GPS%20module%20with%20Arduino%20and%20Demo%20code.pdf

I have NEVER been able to get it to print any correct data out (or really any data). I think this might be because I am using a mega, and the code I have tried is designed for an uno… I dont really know for sure.

Any help would be great!

Thanks,
Josh

I would suggest that you do not use the software serial libaries on a Megs as I understand they do not work. Use the hardware serial ports instead, the Mega has four such ports, one for the serial monitor and another for the GPS.
Subistuted all calles from the software serial with Serial1 calls.

Grumpy_Mike:
I would suggest that you do not use the software serial libaries on a Megs as I understand they do not work. Use the hardware serial ports instead, the Mega has four such ports, one for the serial monitor and another for the GPS.
Subistuted all calles from the software serial with Serial1 calls.

ok, so I would just change out the calls, and change the rx and tx ports to one of the communication ports on the mega (ie: pin 14-19 or 0 and 1)?

Is that all I have to do?

As long as the GPS uses TTL voltage levels for the serial output then yes. If it uses RS232 levels then they need converting.

I have been having a TON of trouble getting a GPS to work

I have used the GPS from NY Platform with ProMini, ProMicro, and UNO.
They are 3.3V TTL serial @ 9600 BAUD, default.
Some GPS libraries do not output sensible data until GPS lock has been obtained. For the Ublox 6M this can be 25 minutes! The GPS is outputting data, but the library code does not populate global variables until lock. After 1st lock, the 6M recovers in seconds from an overnight power-off.

Ray