getting an Arduino NG to work

hi,

after many years i have found my Arduino NG (atmega8) again. :) the only thing i have used it for back then was a blinking led.

now i would like to learn how to control a servo with it but i can't get it to work anymore. i have read the troubleshooting guide but without success.

if i connect it to my pc with an usb cable the green power led is on. if i press the reset button the L led blinks quickly for about a second.

if i try to upload the servo sweep example i get this message: Binary sketch size: 2,414 bytes (of a 7,168 byte maximum) avrdude: usbdev_open(): did not find any USB device "usb"

i tried to do it on a current ubuntu and windows 7 and the error message was the same.

what could be the reason for this? is the bootloader broken?

edit: most likely it is a driver problem? but where can i get the proper driver for the NG?

What happens when you connect it to the USB? Does windows recognices a device? Driver for NG is inside Arduino Folder instalation (FTDI driver). Use the newest 1.05 IDE.

if i plugged in the arduino the windows device manager said: other devices ! FT232R USB UART

but there was a ! in front of it. and in the properties it said: The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

now i tried to "update driver..." in the device manager and "browse my computer for driver software". then i chose the "FTDI USB Drivers" directory.

now the device manager says: Ports (COM & LPT) USB Serial Port (COM5)

i have the newest arduino IDE installed and selected COM5 in tools -> serial port but i still get the same error message: avrdude: usbdev_open(): did not find any USB device "usb"

and how would i install the drivers in ubuntu?

oh! now i got it to work.

what worked for me was pressing the reset button on the arduino just before I clicked to upload my code onto it.

but in linux it still doesn't work.

edit: works now too! :) it's just quite tricky to press the button in the right moment! :/

thanks!

Seems like NG doesnt have the auto reset feature. Glad it worked.

Don't mean to hijack this thread but I'm having a similar issue with this very old Arduino NG board that I found after a decade. When I connect to my PC using USB cable, the L led is constantly blinking and the power led is solid green.

I tried installing the latest IDE and programs(sample sketches) wouldn't compile. I have no experience with Arduino boards and would appreciate some help getting this board up and working.

Thanks.