Getting Arduino Running on PCLINUXOS

Hello,

I just wanted to let everyone know that I have successfully installed Arduino 0010 on PCLinuxOS 2007. As my Linux installation has been upgraded and several packages have already been installed I cannot say if the following steps will work on a clean PCLOS 2007 install.

I used the Slackware instructions at http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Linux/Slackware as a staring point.

Note that you may have problems if you cut and paste the script steps. I found that the arguments for the configure steps were using a single hyphon or dash when they should be two dashes '--'. That was my 1st issue,

I also found that I needed to install the texinfo package. I installed 4.1.1 from Synaptic and this allowed binutils to build.

I also changed the versions to the latest versions available as of February 1st 2008 and that caused my 3rd problem. Using 2.18 version of binutils caused the gcc-avr build to fail with an error during some assembly related the MOVR not being supported on AVR3. I was able to resolve this problem by using a later snapshot version of the binutils 2,18,50 from ftp://sourceware.org/pub/binutils/snapshots/

This allowed me to build version 4.2.3 of gcc and version 1.4.7 of avr-libc. I was then able to attach the Arduino to a USB Port and it was automatically recognised. All I had to do before starting Arduino was add the /usr/local/avr/bin folder to my path and add the USB port to preferences.txt in my Arduino 0010 folder.

It is possible that the versions used in the Slackware instructions will work fine as long as you fix the dashes for the options and install the texinfo package. Aslo, not that I already had the Java Runtime installed.

I am hoping to use Arduino to teach my sons Electronics and Robotics. I plan on creating a web site to record our experiences.

Thanks, Robin

If I were you I'd make a new page on the playground and put the instructions there like the Slackware page. :)

Hello,

I agree, that is a good idea. I was not sure if all members can add to the Playground. I am hoping to get some confirmation that these instructions are clear (and useful) then I will add to the Playground. I have also just got Processing working on PCLOS and that took a little bit of fiddling (The processing GUI would not appear until I removed the java directory shipped with processing).

Thanks, Robin

If I were you I'd make a new page on the playground and put the instructions there like the Slackware page. :)