Getting connectivity on the YUN

Hi Pro's,

I have my YUN hooked up to an efcom pro GSM board.

I am able to send text messages, receive doesnt show up the text on my serial monitor, but my actual goal is to give the YUN connectivity in order to be able to ssh into the YUN from afar(not on the same network)

My First issue is: I do not know how to setup the efcom board to give the YUN internet(Is this even possible with the efcom board?)

Second problem is: how to tell the YUN to use this internet connection

Third problem is : being able to ssh into the YUN from afar once it is connected to the internet(perhaps dyndns?)

Please could someone share some light on this if they have any advice I am all ears :slight_smile:

My First issue is: I do not know how to setup the efcom board to give the YUN internet(Is this even possible with the efcom board?)

With this board (BTW: you forgot the link to that hardware) you can get some basic Internet connectivity for the Arduino part of the Yun. It's almost impossible to provide Internet access for the Linux part of the Yun and that's what your intention seems to be (only the Linux part has SSH possibilities).

If you want to SSH to your Yun from the Internet via a GSM connection buy a GSM USB stick that supports Linux (in the standard kernel!) and plug it into the USB port on the Yun. I don't know how much support for this the default YUN kernel has but that's at least one possibility. Another one is to get a micro router that offers you a gateway from WiFi to GSM Internet. That's by far the easiest method to apply but probably not the cheapest. If you use that option you should be able to configure DynDNS on the router and install a port forwarding for the SSH port.

Thanks for your reply! super helpful, at least i know now what direction I need to follow. thanks again!