Getting difference between continuous sensor readings

Hello, I am using a MPU6050 gyro sensor as a controller for an interactive 3D environment I made in Unity, so I'm sending the values to Unity using Serial. I am using the MPU6050_tockn library to read from the gyro and wrmhlto read the data in Unity - the code below is based on the example from the wrmhl github.

I need to grab the value difference between the current reading and the one before that, ie if the gyro moves from X 10 to X 15 I want to extract the value 5 and send to serial, and if the gyro doesn't move it sends 0.

I'm very new to this, I'm sure it's pretty easy but I have googled and checked some references and haven't been able to find any answer that I understood.

Here is my code:

#include <MPU6050_tockn.h>
#include <Wire.h>
MPU6050 mpu6050(Wire);
#define SERIAL_USB

void setup() {

#ifdef SERIAL_USB
    Serial.begin(9600);
    while (!Serial);
    #endif
    Wire.begin();
    mpu6050.begin();
    mpu6050.calcGyroOffsets(true);

}
void loop() {
  mpu6050.update();
  String x = String((int)mpu6050.getAngleX());
  String y = String((int)mpu6050.getAngleY());
  String z = String((int)mpu6050.getAngleZ());
  sendData(x+"_" + y+"_" + z+"_");
  sendData("\n");  //adding underscores and line break to parse the data in Unity
  delay(5);
}

void sendData(String data){
   #ifdef NATIVE_USB
    SerialUSB.println(data); 
  #endif

#ifdef SERIAL_USB
    Serial.println(data);
  #endif
}

Appreciate any help!

Converting integers to String is a bad idea since you will need those integers.

No idea what you mean by X 10 to X 15 .

inside setup( )
currentX = 0;

inside loop()
newX = mpu6050.getAngleX();

if ((currentX - newX) > 5)
{
do something
}
currentX = newX; //make the new value the current value

ieee488:
Converting integers to String is a bad idea since you will need those integers.

I just noticed that too. I've used a lot of example code for parts of the project so maybe that's a leftover from some other application that I copied it from. Thanks for pointing it out, I will look into it.

ieee488:
No idea what you mean by X 10 to X 15

inside setup( )
currentX = 0;

inside loop()

if ((currentX - newX) > 5)
{
do something
}
currentX = newX; //make the new value the current value

I don't think this is what I'm after. Re: "X10 to X15" - the gyro sensor is measuring x, y and z angles continuously and outputting as values between roughly -150 and 150. I want to extract a value that's always defined as the difference between the last two readings taken from the sensor.
So, if I move the sensor on the X axis, from the position where it outputs "x angle 10" (what I called X10 above) to where it outputs "x angle 15", I want my "difference value" to be 5 on the first update after I moved the sensor - and then on the next update to change to whatever the difference is between "X angle 15" and what the sensor currently measures (which will be 0 if I haven't moved it further), etc. Does this make it more clear?
I'm not looking for the arduino to do anything besides send the values to serial and 5 is just an arbitrary number in this case so I don't see the use of the if statement.

Then

diff = newX - currentX;
currentX = newX;   //make the new value the current value

aarg:
Then

diff = newX - currentX;
currentX = newX;  //make the new value the current value

Thanks, that seems to worK!!