Getting Errors on Programming Nano

I am having an issue with uploading the code to my Nano board. It compiles fine but I gett this error:

Using Port : COM6
Using Programmer : arduino
Overriding Baud Rate : 115200
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00

I have tried what I think is everything and looked for an explanation before posting. I usually don't have any issues with this computer or my laptop. I just wanted to do a quick update ion some code but sometimes nothing is ever easy! :frowning:

It cannot communicate with the board - no response, no connection.
Try to check:

• if the port is correct,
  • if the device is visible in OS,
  • USB cable.
    What about the on-board LEDs?

Port is correct and selected in IDE
Computer sees the CH340 port 7 in system
Tried a know good usb cable from my laptop where I program sometimes
Board is fine and was able to program it on the laptop.

I got to thinking I recently downloaded and installed Velocidrone to practice flying. The controller transmitter plugs into the computer and installed driver STM Device in DFU Mode. may have to do a search if it is an issue.

Select Tools > Processor > ATmega328P (Old Bootloader) and try uploading again.

KevinRoach:
Computer sees the CH340 port 7 in system

Using Port : COM6
Using Programmer : arduino
Overriding Baud Rate : 115200

?

pert:

My mistake it usually uses port 7 and I had changed it to port 6 during trouble shooting

pert:

Was able to upload code with old bootloader. Don’t understand what is going on. Never have these issues with the laptop.

My mistake it usually uses port 7 and I had changed it to port 6 during trouble shooting

And…? Is it just typo or “root case”?

I do not think it is problem “Nano old/new bootloader”, related to baud speed. The response would be more like 0x27, not 0x00.

KevinRoach:
Was able to upload code with old bootloader.

I’m glad to hear it’s working now!

KevinRoach:
Don’t understand what is going on. Never have these issues with the laptop.

In 2018 Arduino changed to using a new bootloader on the official Arduino Nanos. This bootloader communicates at 115200 baud, while the old bootloader communicated at 57600 baud. In order to support the new new bootloader, Arduino released a new version of Arduino AVR Boards (1.6.21). This new version of Arduino AVR Boards uses the 115200 baud communication speed for uploads by default, but adds a new “ATmega328P (Old Bootloader)” item to the Nano’s Tools > Processor menu to support boards with the old bootloader. So if you have a Nano with the old bootloader and are using Arduino AVR Boards 1.6.20 or older, then Tools > Processor > ATmega328P is the correct menu selection and there is no Tools > Processor > ATmega328P (Old Bootloader) option, but if you are using Arduino AVR Boards 1.6.21 or newer then you need to select Tools > Processor > ATmega328P (Old Bootloader) because the default Tools > Processor > ATmega328P only works for boards using the new bootloader.

So my guess is that you have an old version of Arduino AVR Boards on your laptop, but a newer version on your other computer.

The Nano derivative and clone manufacturers don’t seem to have caught on to the fact that Arduino has changed the bootloader on the official boards, so even if you get a brand new Nano derivative from China, you will still have the old bootloader. You also will have the old bootloader if you’re using an official Arduino Nano board from before 2018.

Budvar10:
I do not think it is problem “Nano old/new bootloader”, related to baud speed. The response would be more like 0x27, not 0x00.

That’s all well and good, but if Tools > Processor ATmega328P doesn’t work and Tools > Processor > ATmega328P (Old Bootloader) does work then I think it’s pretty clear the issue was about upload baud rate.

Ah OK, I misunderstood OP's answer. Probably would be better to go sleep.
..zzzZZ

Yes you are right newer version on the desktop. I shouldn’t have updated it on the desktop. Oh well! I really appreciate the help. I spent some of the afternoon trying to figure out was was wrong.

Thanks Again!
Kevin

KevinRoach:
Yes you are right newer version on the desktop. I shouldn't have updated it on the desktop. Oh well! I really appreciate the help. I spent some of the afternoon trying to figure out was was wrong.

Thanks Again!
Kevin

Naw, you should update it on the laptop :stuck_out_tongue:

What's the advantage?

Here's a list of all the changes made to Arduino AVR Boards between the release of 1.6.20 and the release of 1.6.23 (the newest version of Arduino AVR Boards):

In addition to the above, avr-gcc was updated from 4.9.2-atmel3.5.4-arduino2 to 5.4.0-atmel3.6.1-arduino2 and avrdude was updated from 6.3.0-arduino9 to 6.3.0-arduino14.

I only know that the version of Arduino AVR Boards on your laptop is at least 1.6.20 or older. If you have a version of Arduino AVR Boards older than 1.6.20 then there are even more changes than those listed above.

Ok! I looked over the updates and will update the laptop. I will just have to use the older boat loader if I use any of the older boards.

Or put the newer bootloader into the older boards.

I bootload all my '328P projects as Uno for example. Less confusing.

What is the latest bootloader that will work on the Nano? I have never done it and will read up on doing it.

As was mentioned by the previous poster, you can put the Uno bootloader on a Nano. This has the advantage of giving you 1.5kB more program memory for your sketches, because although the bootloader itself is exactly the same, the fuse settings for the Nano still reflect the size needed for the original (old) bootloader.

O have atmel programmer can I use it ? If so what portion would I use in the Arduino IDE?

I have a atmel programmer can I use it ? If so what option would I use in the Arduino IDE?

KevinRoach:
O have atmel programmer can I use it ? If so what portion would I use in the Arduino IDE?

Atmel made several different programmers. So it's not helpful for you to say "O have atmel programmer". Be specific. Details matter when dealing with a complex subject matter like this one.