Getting executable files

Hi,

I am new to Arduino development. I have worked on Processing IDE before but not for Arduino. I am not able to get executable file after exporting my project. If there is no executable file then how INO and HEX files are getting uploaded in microcontroller? I read about AVRDUDE. Is that mandatory to upload HEX and INO to microcontroller? If not then how microcontroller gets the instruction?

Thank you :slight_smile:

immature: Hi,

I am new to Arduino development. I have worked on Processing IDE before but not for Arduino. I am not able to get executable file after exporting my project. If there is no executable file then how INO and HEX files are getting uploaded in microcontroller?

On Atmega platform, the .hex file IS THE EXECUTABLE FILE.

The Arduino IDE on Windows uses the "AvrDude" tool to upload the .hex file into the nicrocontroller with helpf of the "Arduino bootloader", which is executing on the Atmega, when using an Arduino-compatible board.

Is that mandatory to upload HEX and INO to microcontroller

The .ino file is just a text file with a fancy extension you can open it in any text editor. It contains the source code that the IDE compiles into machine code which is what the hex file is.

For a new starter, you should just be able to plug the Arduino in to the USB port, write your code and click on the upload button in the IDE. That will tell you whether your code compiles and whether it has been uploaded successfully. Initially, you shouldn't need to worry what is happening behind the scenes and files other than the .ino file unless you really want to know.

If you have problems, look in the tools menu and make sure you have selected the right board and the right port.