getting file name corruption while reading SD card on Adafruit MusicMaker shield

I have an Adafruit music maker shield with a micro-SD card socket. I plug a SanDisk micro-SD card (I've tried 32GB, 16GB, and a 4GB card "guaranteed to work" from Adafruit, same results) into that socket and try sample code excerpted here:

if (!card.init(SPI_HALF_SPEED, CARDCS)) {
       Serial.println("SD card init failed.");
  } else {
       Serial.println("Found an SD card."); 
  }

uint32_t volumesize;
  Serial.print("\nVolume type is FAT");
  Serial.println(volume.fatType(), DEC);
  Serial.println();
  Serial.println("\nFiles found on the card (name, date and size in bytes): ");
  root.openRoot(volume);
  // list all files in the card with date and size
  root.ls(LS_R | LS_DATE | LS_SIZE);

My serial monitor output looks like this:

Found an SD card.
Volume type is FAT32
Files found on the card (name, date and size in bytes):
TRACK0~1.MP3 2014-06-02 18:46:10 46446
TRACK0~2.MP3 2014-06-02 18:46:22 7990
EXAMPL~1.TXT 2014-06-16 13:32:44 51

Those tilde's are the problem. There really are 3 files on that SD card, which was formatted by the official SDFormatterV4 recommended by the Arduino web site, and their real names are TRACK001.MP3, TRACK002.MP3, and EXAMPLE.TXT. Anyone have any clues as to what might be causing Arduino to misread these filenames?

I also tried changing the code to have the Arduino open a file for writing on the SD card, with a name like TRACK007.MP3. That works, but then, I can't put what I want in the file, which lives on my windows PC.

Volume type is FAT32

Should be FAT16!

I would have chosen FAT16 if the formatter had offered that option, but for >2GB it looks like FAT32 is required.

The good news is I got this working today.

In case it helps somebody else, here's what I was doing wrong.

For some reason, I had become convinced I did not need to call SD.begin before checking card types and doing reads and writes. The winning combination turned out to be to call card.init(), and then SD.begin; after that all the reads and writes worked as advertised.

Oh, and give both the Uno card select value of 4, not 10 (which evidently is the select value for Arduinos other than Uno.)

i just got the Adafruit Music Maker MP3 Shield for Arduino with 3W Stereo Amp but tryed to play a mp3 song with the Adafruit VS1053 Simple Test simple player but no luck try rename the to track001.mp3 and track002.mp3 sill no luck and try the site but sill no luck got a 2gb transcend micro sd card

i just add the pins and put on my arduino uno

i tucly suck now any got the full code to get it working