Getting GPS data from GM862-GPS

Hi, I have the GM862-GPS Arduino shield and I can't seem to get any GPS data from it. I have tried various other GPS tutorials I have found but am having no luck.

Has anybody successfully got GPS data from it?

Thanks in advance.

Are you not getting position data? ==> Could be you are not receiving signal. GPS uses a very low power microwave frequency. Easily blocked by roofing materials, overhead foliage, even very heavy rain. Do you have an antenna connected with nothing but blue sky above it?

Are you not getting any readable data (you get garbage out)? ==> Check baud rates, signal levels, and inversion.

Are you getting nothing, nothing, nothing? ==> Is the GPS actually active and drawing current (not sleeping)? Ensure that there are no unconnected inputs (enable, reset, sleep, etc.).

Thanks for your reply kBit.

I'm not getting any data at all and yes I have blue sky above. The GPS is active as the status LED on the module steadily blinks.

The module sits completely on top of the Arduino so there are no unconnected pins.

I can't find any code to use with this module so I don't know if it is the signal or not.

The module sits completely on top of the Arduino so there are no unconnected pins.

Sitting on top of something does not make a connection. In fact, you may short out things that shouldn't be.

Sad story from a decade ago: Once I had a boss come up to the roof to check on a couple of us, just as we were about to pack up and come down for lunch. He offered to help carry things. He picked up the 12V gel cell we were using for power, and a bare circuit board prototype of our equipment. He set the bare board on top of the battery. As we are all riding down on the elevator I glance over to see this. My heart just falls. He's like, "is that a problem?" Duh! Lesson for young engineer kBit: put your boards in / on some sort of case or at least standoffs.

Back to your problem.

I went to look at the data sheet. I see this:

Note: If not used, almost all pins should be left disconnected. The only exceptions are the following 
pins:  

pin signal 
1,3,5,7 VBATT 
2,4,8 GND 
17 ON/OFF* 
20 TXD 
23 RESET* 
37 RXD 
45 RTS1 

( footnote 1)
 RTS should be connected to the GND (on the module side) if flow control is not used

Have you made every one of those connections?

What pins on the Arduino are you using to communicate with what pins on the GPS? How are you converting from the 2.8 V GPS signals to the Arduino 5 V signals?

Post the code you use to listen to the GPS.

Thanks for your reply kBit. The code I am using I have taken from this website. From this page http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Tutorials/GPS I have also put it below. Thanks in advance.

/*

Example code for connecting a Parallax GPS module to the Arduino

Igor González Martín. 05-04-2007
 igor.gonzalez.martin@gmail.com

English translation by djmatic 19-05-2007

Listen for the $GPRMC string and extract the GPS location data from this.
 Display the result in the Arduino's serial monitor.

*/ 

#include <string.h>
 #include <ctype.h>

int ledPin = 13;                  // LED test pin
 int rxPin = 2;                    // RX PIN 
 int txPin = 3;                    // TX TX
 int byteGPS=-1;
 char linea[300] = "";
 char comandoGPR[7] = "$GPRMC";
 int cont=0;
 int bien=0;
 int conta=0;
 int indices[13];

void setup() {
   pinMode(ledPin, OUTPUT);       // Initialize LED pin
   pinMode(rxPin, INPUT);
   pinMode(txPin, OUTPUT);
   Serial.begin(4800);
   for (int i=0;i<300;i++){       // Initialize a buffer for received data
     linea[i]=' ';
   }   
 }

void loop() {
   digitalWrite(ledPin, HIGH);
   byteGPS=Serial.read();         // Read a byte of the serial port
   if (byteGPS == -1) {           // See if the port is empty yet
     delay(100); 
   } else {
     linea[conta]=byteGPS;        // If there is serial port data, it is put in the buffer
     conta++;                      
     printByte(byteGPS);
     if (byteGPS==13){            // If the received byte is = to 13, end of transmission
       digitalWrite(ledPin, LOW); 
       cont=0;
       bien=0;
       for (int i=1;i<7;i++){     // Verifies if the received command starts with $GPR
         if (linea[i]==comandoGPR[i-1]){
           bien++;
         }
       }
       if(bien==6){               // If yes, continue and process the data
         for (int i=0;i<300;i++){
           if (linea[i]==','){    // check for the position of the  "," separator
             indices[cont]=i;
             cont++;
           }
           if (linea[i]=='*'){    // ... and the "*"
             indices[12]=i;
             cont++;
           }
         }
         Serial.println("");      // ... and write to the serial port
         Serial.println("");
         Serial.println("---------------");
         for (int i=0;i<12;i++){
           switch(i){
             case 0 :Serial.print("Time in UTC (HhMmSs): ");break;
             case 1 :Serial.print("Status (A=OK,V=KO): ");break;
             case 2 :Serial.print("Latitude: ");break;
             case 3 :Serial.print("Direction (N/S): ");break;
             case 4 :Serial.print("Longitude: ");break;
             case 5 :Serial.print("Direction (E/W): ");break;
             case 6 :Serial.print("Velocity in knots: ");break;
             case 7 :Serial.print("Heading in degrees: ");break;
             case 8 :Serial.print("Date UTC (DdMmAa): ");break;
             case 9 :Serial.print("Magnetic degrees: ");break;
             case 10 :Serial.print("(E/W): ");break;
             case 11 :Serial.print("Mode: ");break;
             case 12 :Serial.print("Checksum: ");break;
           }
           for (int j=indices[i];j<(indices[i+1]-1);j++){
             Serial.print(linea[j+1]); 
           }
           Serial.println("");
         }
         Serial.println("---------------");
       }
       conta=0;                    // Reset the buffer
       for (int i=0;i<300;i++){    //  
         linea[i]=' ';             
       }                 
     }
   }
 }

Telit GE863-GPS on The product GE-210V

Product SIZE:69*49*24.5[ch65288]mm[ch65289]

The product combination of GSM, GPRS, GPS, Bluetooth GPS module as a whole. The use of this product in the market the most advanced technology of SiRF Start III, and, through GPRS sent to gpsgate.com site. Users can apply on the site the user ID through the GE-210 software ID and password, the time interval to send data to write to the module. When the user will have to open GPRS service functions of the SIM card inserted into the GE-210, the GE-210 at the same time is switched on. When the lock more than two satellite signal, GE-210 started in accordance with the conditions set by the user sent to the designated site gpsgate account ID and stored in real-time display on the page to load the map.

Users can also use the ID and password to log on to IE browser gpsgate.com site to view real-time and historical location. Users can also WinCE cell phone or computer GPSGATE installed client software, users fill in the software ID and password to send to the GE-210 real-time location data GPSGATE transferred to a map of the local software, including Google Earth. If the user has two or more GE-210 can also set up base on the site, allowing users to monitor and query at the same time a number of goals and the team.

If the user is to buy GE-210V, GE-210V features voice calls with a product. Users can set up software settings to use the number of ringing, and then in accordance with the GE-210V will be pre-set number of incoming call ring when the caller can listen to clear the GE-210V voice and 5 m in radius.

At the same time, the Company is also looking around the agents or partners welcome the calls go into the details

Mobile:+852 6709-5220 E-mail:bg7ifp@gmail.com website:http://www.lsb-pottery.cn/athena/offerdetail/sale/czlvshengbao-50910-351091030.html

Hi all,

I have purchased the GM862 USB evaluation board from Sparkfun. I have successfully got it to work with the PC's hyperterminal, i.e. I can send and receive SMS. However, the eventual goal for me is to connect the board to Arduino MEGA and communicating with GM862. I read in the manual that in order to allow external communication the USB FTDI chip need to isolated from the evaluation board, via desoldering jumpers RX, TX, RTS, CTS. I was just wondering if anyone has done this, if so maybe someone can post a picture as to exactly where these jumpers are located. Also any comments interfacing the USB evaluation board for GM862 and Arduino MEGA would be greatly appreciated.