Getting sick and tired of mean, hateful, arrogant and judgmental forum members

This is addressed to forum admins. Subject says it all. I think you need to start taking action on this. For starters, ban those users, I'm sure everyone knows who they are.

I used to like reading and posting and helping others, but this has been getting worse so I don't frequent this message board as much anymore. The forum environment must be friendly, not hostile. I seriously hope admins take immediate action.

Thanks.

Name names and post links to examples. Otherwise your comment is meaningless.

Better still, if you come across a comment that meets your description reply to the poster asking him or her to modify his/her behaviour.

...R

The problem with banning users is that you also ban those with the most knowledge and have helped many other members.

Some of those that fit your description have tens of thousands of posts and have received much karma. Many have benefitted from their help.

+1 for Robin2's comment.

Weedpharma

The end justifies never the means. For most of us it´s (freetime) a hobby. Those karma giants never start learning, aren´t they :grin: There are no stupid questions but only stupid answers ....

It isn't arrogance if you really are superior. 8)

Doughboy, feel your pain. Humility and tact seem to be a thing of the past.

jogl8: Doughboy, feel your pain. Humility and tact seem to be a thing of the past.

Like I said in Reply #1 - be specific.

...R

Polonius said: "Give thy thoughts no tongue...". I will take that advice myself.

So can I delete your thoughts posts, because they serve no purpose?

There is a difference between offering technical advice and saying things that needn't be said.

I thought this one was a little over the top. I edited the names out

Using Arduino > Programming Questions

Serial comunication

<< < (3/3)

:
Which dickhead you would have been told had you posted the output of the serial monitor!

That said, I think the contributors to this forum show tremendous patience and willingness to teach. I read quite a few questions and responses and can say that my response to some of the questions would be significantly more acidic. Someone said there are no stupid questions, well maybe, but then there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Yeah but a most of the people complaining about someone being mean when they really aren't. For some reason, if you answer a question with a fact then you are "acting like an all superior know it all". Even though that's exactly the answer to the question posed in the thread. Unless you just write a code for them and spoon feed it to them they get all bent out of shape that you're being mean.

For over the top replies, use the Report to Moderator link that every post has. Respect the Mods and their decisions.

That should handle Real Forum Problems. As for the rest of the daily parade,

For poor bruised egos that can't take being told they are wrong I have one question: How do you deal with the compiler? How can you stand the debug process?

For students looking to get their projects done for them; you will fail to learn how to learn on your own and only partly learn what you are shown, good luck with the next level course unless it's a BusAd course on suckering others into doing work for free in which case I hope you flunk.

For those who ignore good advice and keep trying what didn't work, expect some grief from those who wasted their time on you. That includes people who think that "no stupid questions" includes the same questions over and over.

This is a Tech Forum, not Romper Room.

I'm aligned with AWOL on this one... and with GoForSmoke regarding "tech forum." I have seen many stupid questions over the years and I have seen my share of students wanting 'a code for...'.

I used to try and refer new Ops to the forum stickies - that was fruitless. I tried to digest the questions and link to similar questions that were answered. - No joy there. I even tried to post my own project links that did similar features.

Bottom line is there are a large number of posters that just want a fully written sketch customized to their needs. They do not wish to learn... they are paint by numbers folk... they do not wish to learn technique.

Yes, there are others that just jump in willy-nilly and post but are really serious; but, fail to read the forum procedures (rules.) They may get bruised, but they will heal - or find another hobby.

All hobbies require a discipline and maturity to become "good" at it. Hunker down, read, study, experiment, and if you post - POST the full sketch and explain clearly what you want to accomplish and where you are stumbling.

Ray

mrburnette: I'm aligned with AWOL on this one... and with GoForSmoke regarding "tech forum." I have seen many stupid questions over the years and I have seen my share of students wanting 'a code for...'.

I used to try and refer new Ops to the forum stickies - that was fruitless. I tried to digest the questions and link to similar questions that were answered. - No joy there. I even tried to post my own project links that did similar features.

Bottom line is there are a large number of posters that just want a fully written sketch customized to their needs. They do not wish to learn... they are paint by numbers folk... they do not wish to learn technique.

Yes, there are others that just jump in willy-nilly and post but are really serious; but, fail to read the forum procedures (rules.) They may get bruised, but they will heal - or find another hobby.

All hobbies require a discipline and maturity to become "good" at it. Hunker down, read, study, experiment, and if you post - POST the full sketch and explain clearly what you want to accomplish and where you are stumbling.

Ray

There are also those (MOds included) that like bashing newbies. THis has been the least friendly newbie forum I have ever used.

Brosco: There are also those (MOds included) that like bashing newbies. THis has been the least friendly newbie forum I have ever used.

Please provide links to some examples to support this claim.

It is not that long since I was a newbie and I did not have any sense of being "bashed"

In my experience of a few Forums this one is the best for giving answers and, especially, for giving a question specific attention until the problem is solved. Of course that does depend on interaction from the OP.

...R

Brosco is probably whining that his/her post about TinyBasic was moved (or "censored" as s/he would have it) from "Programming Questions" or "Project Guidance" to "Bar sport" and then "Other Software development".

That post is still there, waiting for a link to said TinyBasic.

I'm very glad I read here for a while: now decided not to spend any money on Arduino. I've been on tech forums since the advent of the internet, and many face to face user groups before that, asked my share of questions and given my share of help- this one wins the newbie bashing oscar by a long chalk. (Although as always, it's not fair to generalise- there are 2-3 long standing (high post count) members who are actually helpful without being rude, sarcastic and condescending.)

I'd rather stay ignorant of Arduino than ask for help here.

Robin2: Please provide links to some examples to support this claim.

Seriously??

I do not think we need links. We've all seen it happen whether we'd like to admit it or not. As a member since 2011 I've seen it occur countless times.

pYro_65: We've all seen it happen whether we'd like to admit it or not.

I agree completely. But ...

• I don't like the idea of people making unfounded allegations.
  • The things that the complainants have in mind be very diiferent from what you and I have in mind
  • If any of the complaints relates to something I have said I would like a chance to respond.
  • Just because because there are one or two problems is not reason enough to write-off the entire community.

...R