Getting Started Problems

I have been working on this all day and can’t find where the problem is. I also have tried searching the forums for an answer.

My problem is that I am trying to just run the example “Blink”. It verifies correctly, but when I try to upload, I get this:

Arduino: 1.6.4 (Windows 8.1), Board: “Arduino Uno”

Using Port : COM4

Using Programmer : arduino

Overriding Baud Rate : 115200

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xe1

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xe1

avrdude done. Thank you.

I have tried reinstalling, no luck, and I have looked all over youtube to fix this. I am using Windows 8.1, and I saw that the drivers were updated so it should recognize my Arduino. I am convinced something is wrong with the drivers but I have no idea how to figure out if that is right or how to fix this. Please help me

I doubt that error is actually caused by a problem with the drivers. To confirm whether or not the drivers are working properly you can do a loopback test. The link to that is included below.

Let me know the outcome of that test and I will do my best to help you.

I followed the instructions, and during the part where I sent data ( I have never done this before ) I typed something like "hello". Nothing showed up after I clicked send, but the little RX LED lit up when I clicked send.

Okay.... Ideally the characters you typed should have been "echoed" back. The fact the the rx led was illuminated when you tried indicates that the drivers are okay and that everything Is okay on the computer's side.

I think your problem is that the bootloader on your board is either missing or corrupt. To restore the bootloader you will need access to an ISP programmer of some sort. If you have another arduino that could be used to imitate one.

Oh, so the Arduino Uno, out of the box won't work by itself? I have never used it for a project before, but I need to purchase a programmer? I have wires and resistor and leds and that kind of stuff from my circuits class lab kit, but am I missing hardware so I couldn't even preform one of the examples? Any guidance on how to fix the bootloader would also help a lot.

goobes: Oh, so the Arduino Uno, out of the box won't work by itself? I have never used it for a project before, but I need to purchase a programmer? I have wires and resistor and leds and that kind of stuff from my circuits class lab kit, but am I missing hardware so I couldn't even preform one of the examples? Any guidance on how to fix the bootloader would also help a lot.

There are quality control measures to ensure that Arduino board will work "out of the box", however, there are times when a non-functional board does get shipped. If you don't mind me asking, where did you purchase your board?

There are two popular ways to go about reloading the bootloader. These are:

1. Use an ISP programmer You can buy an ISP programmer at various places online such as here on the Arduino website, amazon or ebay. These are generally inexpensive and will get the job done. To reload the bootloader using an ISP programmer you will normally connect the programmer to your Arduino via the 6-pin ISP port to the right-most edge of the Arduino board. After connecting the programmer you then need to open the IDE, select the type of board you will be programming from Tools->Boards and then burn the bootloader using the Tools->Burn Bootloader option

2. Use another Arduino as a programmer. To use another Arduino board as an ISP programmer, you follow use one of the guides below:

3. ArduinoISP Tutorial from the Arduino.cc website

4. Bootloader reloading sketch by Nick Gammon

You also have a third option, although it is not as popular as the first two. This method, however, requires that you have a genuine Arduino board and know how to solder. The advantage to using this method, in my opinion, is that it doesn't require purchasing any additional hardware if you are using a R3 Uno.