Getting started - simple messaging system?

Hi all,

Hope I'm posting this in the right place. I've been interested in Arduino and making in general for a long time, and now that I've got some time on my hands I figured I'd jump in. My only problem is, I have no idea where to start...

I do have an idea for a project, but I don't know if it would be feasible for a beginner. Basically, I'd like to be able to set up a simple messaging system at my parents house. My father, who is very hard of hearing, spends most of his time in his 'man cave' area that was added on to the house, and my mother is constantly having to wander around yelling any time he's needed.

What I invision is a simple keypad with maybe three or four buttons on it, and each button would turn on a signal light and display a message in my father's room. For instance - my mother pushes button one, and in my father's room a signal LED light turns on and a display reads 'Dinner is ready'. He can then hit a button to turn off the light and clear the message.

Is something like this feasible for a first-timer? And if so, is there a kit that would be a good starting-off point? I've been considering this kit.

Any input or guidance would be very much appreciated. Sort of wandering in the dark at this point.

google for "babyphone" or "baby monitor". some have remote light built in, some have 2-way audio.

One of my goals with this - the main goal, in fact - is to start learning about Arduino. I realize there are ready-made solutions, but buying a baby monitor just doesn't seem like much fun.

Hello Mr Happy :frowning: !
Welcome to the forum.

Your proposed project is simple and doesn't really need an Arduino. If you are happy to run some cable from your mother's sending unit to your father's display unit then 1 sending button per message, 1 cancel button per message, 1 relay per message and 1 lamp per message are all you need. I realise this does not meet one of your requirements; to learn about Arduino.

The kit you linked to looks fine for learning, buy one and play with the various tutorials. Ask here if you get stuck.

I hope you lose many happy hours learning both electronics and how to program.

Have fun and enjoy :slight_smile:

Excellent! Thanks for the input and the guidance. Glad to know I'm not biting off more than I can chew.