Getting started with Arduino and sensors

Hi!

I'm new to arduino, electronics and basically all things solder-related. But now I'm attempting to learn more. My goal is to build some device that will measure the tilt of a drilling tower relative to gravity and display this on an LCD. My understanding is that this is a fairly simple project?

I'm planning to use an 8-bit accelerometer connected to the tower to measure the tilt, and have long cables (3 meters) running from it to the arduino and display.

My questions are these:

How difficult will this be? How accurate can I get the measurements? What obstacles have I not considered? Could anyone point me to similar projects or recommended parts?

Best regards,

Geir Anders

and have long cables (3 meters) running from it to the arduino and display.

That is the tricky part. These sensors are not designed for use at a distance. You may have to have an aruuino with the sensors at one end sending data down to something like a serial LCD.

How accurate can I get the measurements

Look at the data sheet of the sensor you plan to use.

What obstacles have I not considered?

That you know nothing and it is not a trivial project.

I would get some experience with the arduino and do some of the tutorials before setting out on this one. Tackle it a piece at a time. Display, sending data, sensor.

Thanks for the reply!

I thought the reason for digital communication between sensor and board is so that you can have cable resistance and other noise without affecting the resulting measures?

Adding the extra board would make everything easier. I'll look into the LCD first.

Best regards,

Geir Anders

I'm new to arduino, electronics and basically all things solder-related.

I thought the reason for digital communication between sensor and board is so that you can have cable resistance and other noise without affecting the resulting measures?

No that is not the reason. ;)