Getting Started with Blink example

Hi all,
I just got the Arduino UNO today. I'm trying to run the BLINK example. However, I keep getting an error, "unable to rename; file exists".

I'm not sure what to do next. I never dowloaded the drivers, because there are drivers on the Arduino's IDE, I'm assuming this might be the issue?

Thank for any help for this noob.

Hi, welcome to the forum.

The Arduino Uno board is the best Arduino board to start with.
Which operating system do you use and which Arduino IDE version did you download ?

Select the Blink example from the menu and save it to your own project folder with your own name.

Your project folder is probably "Documents \ Arduino" or so.
After you saved it, try again.

I'm on (don't laugh) WINXP.

The IDE is 1.0.6. (I downloaded it last week).

I saved the Blink example to "my documents/arduino/BLINK" and still no go. An error popped up saying it couldn't find the arduino on COM1 and it went to COM3.

I'm wondering do I REALLY have to purchase the drivers? I assume they're onboard the IDE? Yes?

You don't have to purchase drivers.
Does your computer have a COM1 port ? then the Arduino is often at COM3.

It might also be a conflict between the Arduino and Java.
In Windows 7, the Arduino IDE 1.5.8 BETA will run without installing any additional Java.
In linux a minimal Java is needed.

If you try the Arduino IDE 1.5.8 BETA zip file, you can unzip it in your home folder.
There is a folder "drivers" in there, with all the drivers. There is also a *.exe that will install all the drivers.
Arduino IDE 1.5.8 BETA has improved the serial port, it will have less trouble than 1.0.6.

If you have weird error messages, you can make a screendump of it.
When you use the "REPLY" button and not the Quick Reply field, there is "Additional options" at the lower left of the text field, you can use that to attach a photo or screendump.

In my Arduino folder, I unzipped the "OLD" driver folder, but when I try to go through "Add Hardeware " fromthe control panel, it won't even recognize the ".inf" file types. weird.

Peter_n:
You don’t have to purchase drivers.
Does your computer have a COM1 port ? then the Arduino is often at COM3.

It might also be a conflict between the Arduino and Java.
In Windows 7, the Arduino IDE 1.5.8 BETA will run without installing any additional Java.
In linux a minimal Java is needed.

If you try the Arduino IDE 1.5.8 BETA zip file, you can unzip it in your home folder.
There is a folder “drivers” in there, with all the drivers. There is also a *.exe that will install all the drivers.
Arduino IDE 1.5.8 BETA has improved the serial port, it will have less trouble than 1.0.6.

If you have weird error messages, you can make a screendump of it.
When you use the “REPLY” button and not the Quick Reply field, there is “Additional options” at the lower left of the text field, you can use that to attach a photo or screendump.

Kind of having the same problem port/com section is grey but in the lower right hand corner it says uno on com3, I have unplugged the usb from comp and board, reset the board, reset the comp. I had it once but don’t remember what/how I did it. Running windows. 8.1 thanks.

Try running the administrator as administrator.