Getting Started?

I would like to get started with a board or kit. I would like to use wifi and sd card at some point. Would like to do home automation with sensors etc. or a weather station project. What would be the best board or kit to start with? I have experience with electronics and some programming. I have a windows 10 SP4 and a collection of all kinds of parts and wires and bead boards.

If someone could direct me to start off in the right direction, that would be Great!

Tom

This looks like a comprehensive start:-
math.hws.edu/vaughn/cpsc/226/docs/askmanual.pdf

If you need to use WiFi and an SD Card it would be worthwhile considering the Arduino Yun which has both built in as well as a Linux computer.

The Arduino Uno is the best starter board because most software and add-ons work with it.

However if you add a WiFi shield you are probably close to the price of a Yun with a great deal less capability.

If cost is not an obstacle I suggest starting with the Uno and getting a Yun (or other stuff) later when you know more about the Arduino system.

...R

I'm still don't know what way to go! Would love to start with the Yun, if I gain more capability and cost about the same. What if any would I loose if I went with Uno R3 and Yun shield? When it comes to the software is the yun limited? When it comes to a weather station would I have enough I/O with Uno? I one easier to program?

Thanks for any help!
Tom

I guess the Uno plus the Yun shield is pretty much the same as a Yun. Does the Yun shield have an SD Card slot?

The Arduinos with the Atmega 32U4 (Yun, Leonardo, Micro) are a bit less convenient because of the way they implement the USB connection. It can take a few attempts to upload a program and using the Serial Monitor is not always straightforward. With the other processors opening the serial port causes the Arduino to reset so you know exactly what state it is in.

The Yun and the Yun shield also have a powerful Linux processor - though not as powerful as a Raspberry Pi. But the RPi does not have WiFi.

The Uno and Yun have essentially the same I/O capabilities. If you need more I/O ports you need a Mega. I would be very surprised if your needs exceed an Uno's capability - but it does depend on the list of sensors etc that you want to use.

It would be easier for you to make a decision after you gain some experience and for that reason I suggest starting with the Uno.

...R

When it comes to the software is the yun limited?

No it is in effect two boards in one. There is a conventional Arduino plus a Linux board.

When it comes to a weather station would I have enough I/O with Uno?

Simple expansion means that the number of I/O ports is never a limitation.

When you say "WiFi" - look into the ESP8266. It is quite likely to be able to do all you need; much more powerful than a basic Arduino.

Robin I looked at the Rasberry Pi 2, looks like I can do lots more with it. I like that it will run Kodi and has wifi adapter. I see projects online for Weather Satation and Home Auto., programing is different but seems to be more power with the Linux operating system.

Can I run Kodi and other projects at the same time?

Uno maybe easier to start with!

Thanks! Still looking ...

Can I run Kodi and other projects at the same time?

Yes.

However, the big thing about an Arduino is you can turn it on and off, just like that.

With a Pi, it takes about a minute to boot up before it does anything and then you have to boot it down before you can remove the power. This takes about 15 seconds.

If you are building a system that will be running all the time the startup time of an RPi is irrelevant and programming an RPi is much easier (IMHO) than doing the same thing on an Arduino.

Where an Arduino excels is in handling real-world actions in real time - switching things on and off and reading sensors - because there is no operating system to get in the way.

Perhaps the combination of an RPi and an Arduino would be best.

The Yun has much the same capability as an RPi and an Arduino but does not have all of the facilities of an RPi such as sound and graphics.

To be honest, if I was doing home automation I would just use a cheap laptop (rather than an RPi) plus one or more Arduinos for interfacing with the world.

...R