Glider pilot - vario project

I am looking into an arduino project to make a dual vario setup.

I've written copied sketches from peeps far cleverer than I and it all works on my UNO R3 using a BMP180 pressure sensor and an old earpeice then transferred it to a Mini Pro (3.3V) and it all works swimmingly.

The Varios are going to sit on the wingtips of my glider (there is no way I can hear the vario from my flying position)

Can anyone suggest a method of transmitting the vario info from the wingtip mounted Mini's to my cockpit. Looking at bluetooth at the moment...

Thanks

Can anyone suggest a method of transmitting the vario info from the wingtip mounted Mini's to my cockpit.

How much data? How often? What range? What is in the way? Does it have to be wireless?

Thanks for replying.

There is nothing in the way - clear line of sight about 8-10 mtrs.
It cannot be electrically connected (no wires at all)
IR may work. RF might also

Data? The vario updates 5 or six times a second and produces a positive or negative number between -99.99 and +99.99

I'd suggest going an audio route and hack the below audio transmitter to send beeping vario audio output to an FM receiver in the cockpit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5mm-Car-Wireless-FM-Radio-Transmitter-For-iPhone-5S-5C-4S-iPod-Samsung-S4-2014-/281293702534?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&var=&hash=item417e694586

Audio is OK, but if I were doing it, I might want to use RF. A couple of nRF024L modules for the wingtips, and one for the cockpit. The one in the cockpit could poll the wingtip units alternately. Output could still be audio, a couple of RC servos, LCD screen, LEDs. You could have one or any combination of them.