gocart sterring

so i whant to make an electrik gocart sterring where i where i want to make it like turning the sterring weel half a round then the weels turn full and when i turn it a 1/4 the weels turn half of what they can and ive got some optical rotary encoders and need som help whith the programming im kind of a noob hope some one can help

Is this a model, or full size? What sort of actuator are you planning? Steering is one of those areas of a real vehicle which would be considered safety-critical and not a good area for casual DIY systems, and I'd also be concerned that the latency of a steer-by-wire system would make the solution very difficult to drive. On a model that might not be a concern (an RC model is steer-by-wire anyway) but you wouldn't typically have a steering input control with a full revolution.

Youtube has some large stearing projects.

the gokart isent gone to be sterred by wire its a normel sterring from a car fitted in the gokart and its gona be an electrial motor that is gona make it turn

If the steering doesn't use a steering shaft and gears (or hydraulics) it is "steer by wire" - meaning electric wires.

...R

nonamejohn: the gokart isent gone to be sterred by wire its a normel sterring from a car fitted in the gokart and its gona be an electrial motor that is gona make it turn

nonamejohn: the gokart isent gone to be sterred by wire its a normel sterring from a car fitted in the gokart and its gona be an electrial motor that is gona make it turn

I get the idea of using an electric motor as a servo to move the steering mechanism, but where does the steering demand come from - is this a driverless gokart?

I get the idea of using an electric motor as a servo to move the steering mechanism, but where does the steering demand come from - is this a driverless gokart?

its suposed to be a maned gokart

Do you specifically want to use steer-by-wire, or is this just your chosen way to get the steering characteristics you want? From a driver's point of view this is likely to be quite horrible, and dangerous to drive at any significant speed.

nonamejohn: so i whant to make an electrik gocart sterring where i where i want to make it like turning the sterring weel half a round then the weels turn full and when i turn it a 1/4 the weels turn half of what they can and ive got some optical rotary encoders and need som help whith the programming im kind of a noob hope some one can help

Might be simpler to use a pot/servo setup and the "knob" servo example code.

I assume you are only planning a go cart that will travel at slow speed and that you won't be expecting anything like the highly sensitive steering control that is needed in a racing gokart.

Car (and gokart) steering is incredibly sensitive. A movement of 10mm on the rim of the steering wheel will cause a car to cross to the other side of a motorway. Think about how small is the corresponding change of angle of the front wheels. If you want control any better than what you get from the steering of farm tractors I think you will have great difficulty, and expense.

...R