Good book for general electronics?

I’m looking for a good and preferably cheap book on general electronics. Not something introductory about resistors and capacitors, but a good way to learn how discrete semiconductor devices and the like operate in practical terms… I’m having a hard time grasping the principles and the practical operation of BJTs and such, and it’s rather hard to do anything useful with only elementary knowledge. Any suggestions?

Have you tried amazon? I’m sure if you search something like “electronics books” or something along those lines you will get what you want.

Sure, there’s a plethora of books on Amazon. I just don’t know which are better suited for stuff that’s intended to interface with digital control.

I can recommend Tom Igoe’s book “Making things talk” if you want arduino specific lessons… It helped me get into electronics… Still does (still open in on a weekly basis ;))

but a good way to learn how discrete semiconductor devices and the like operate in practical terms

Tom’s book will not give you that.

Buy:-

and never have to buy another book again.

@Grumpy_Mike,
not HAVE to buy another book, or not WANT to buy another book? ;D

The internet is the best learning tool out there! :slight_smile:

The Art of Electronics is THE book you want to understand what is going on. I doubt that you will find a better book. If you should find a better one please tell us :slight_smile: