Good Coding Computers

1080p is a pretty standard resolution on a computer monitor.

I suppose so. 15 or 17 inch monitors wouldn’t cut it for me, which is why I have dual 22 inch displays (though not at 1080p; when I bought them, 1080p wasn’t standard - I was looking to replace a 20 inch CRT that I ran at 1600x1200).

I wish medical imaging LCDs were cheaper (some of those you can get in huge sizes, with insane resolutions - but only for a premium).

I wish medical imaging LCDs were cheaper (some of those you can get in huge sizes, with insane resolutions - but only for a premium).

Well now that apple’s stuck a really high pixel density display in the iPhone 4 (326 PPI!), high res screens will probably go down in price soon.

Mowcius

Well now that apple’s stuck a really high pixel density display in the iPhone 4 (326 PPI!), high res screens will probably go down in price soon.

I haven’t actually looked recently; when I did look, it was several years back - the displays at the time required multiple video cards with dual-head outputs to drive a single monitor, and it was a “niche” product for medical imaging (CT scans, digital x-rays, etc). All of that contributed greatly to the price.

Like everything else though in computing, the price will come down…

Well, the display technology can’t be that expensive… The 16gb iPhone 4 only costs $200. That includes the flash and processor, ect.

The 16gb iPhone 4 only costs $200

I find the very hard to believe

Estimate BOM cost is around USD190

Well, the display technology can’t be that expensive…

I did a quick look around for medical imaging displays - one place had a 6MP color display for…$15,000.00+:

http://www.medicaldisplaysforless.com/product_detail.cfm?pk_product=552

…and that’s the “used” price…!

;D

apple site says

iPhone 4
16GB
From $199

Link?

Requires new two-year AT&T wireless service contract, sold separately to qualified customers; credit check required; must be 18 or older. Existing AT&T customers who want to upgrade from another phone or replace an iPhone 3G or iPhone 3GS should check with AT&T or use www.apple.com/iphone/buy. For those who are not eligible for an early upgrade or who wish to buy iPhone as a gift, the prices are $499 (8GB), $599 (16GB), or $699 (32GB).

so there is your screw, I could get one for 199, my wife would pay 600

Eek… Forgot about the whole … And $15,000… HOLY (this site doesn’t allow bad words)!

iPhone 4 components cost $188

Put manufacturing and other overhead on top of that and it all comes down to quantity.

One other thing about those medical imaging monitors is that they typically have methods (some hardware based) to precisely calibrate every setting on them. They are anything but a standard LCD.

I did manage to find a page, though, discussing a study in which it was found that a particular standard DELL LCD was nearly as good as a medical imaging; the amount of error in diagnoses as a result of the monitor different was statistically insignificant. I am not sure how the patients would feel about that, though!

:slight_smile:

I was going to mention a DELL such as this one:http://www.ebuyer.com/product/155584 for a nice high res at an affordable price. :slight_smile:

Mowcius