good duemilanove clone?

what is a good clone which will provide everything that the arduino does, but for less money? (has to have female pins)

There are many clone vendors that make fine products that in some cases add extra features while still being fully compatible. I am particulary fond of the Seeeduino boards:

http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/arduino-controller-seeeduino-family-c-79_80.html?zenid=9f6118c193cee9f8b7337d4df91a2eca

Lefty

I have a roboduino (DFRduino), love it. What it has going for it... its an arduino and... its black :P

akrolik, can you tell us what country you live in? That may make a difference to the answers. For some countries postage can be bigger than the difference in price.

Usa

I got one of the roboduino (DFRduino) boards with ethernet shield from Hong Kong via ebay. It works well, but when I connected a 12v battery to the external power supply, the 5v pin on the board went to 7.5v.

I got one of the roboduino (DFRduino) boards with ethernet shield from Hong Kong via ebay. It works well, but when I connected a 12v battery to the external power supply, the 5v pin on the board went to 7.5v.

:o

Don’t know if this means anything cause I am such a noob but… I am loving my bare bones board from modern device ( www.moderndevice.com/products/bbb-kit ). You will have to solder it yourself but that is part of the fun of it. Also the first time you buy one remember to get the USB-BUB or a FTDI cable because it doesn’t come with USB. Thing about that is that you only have to get the USB-BUB the first time then use that for all of the rest unless you need a USB connection on each arduino. Still it might be cheaper even if you do. I bought my 1st 2009 for $35 US from makershed then the BBBKit and a USB-BUB for $30 (16+14) from Modern device. Then later another 2 BBBs for $16 each.

does the bbbkit have fewer io pins?

same. 14 digital (6 are pwm) and 6 analog.

Hi akrolik, if this is your first Arduino, I'd suggest getting an official board. It has a swappable Atmega328p chip and paying a little extra goes a long way in supporting the Arduino community :)