Google code shutting down!

http://google-opensource.blogspot.com/2015/03/farewell-to-google-code.html

Unbelievable!

I know it isn't the first time that Google has yanked services out from everyone's feet. I just cannot believe they would shut down something with as many users a Google code.

I guess it goes along with the usual Google policy of "screw the user"

That sounds a little off from their "Don't be Evil" corporate motto. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don't_be_evil

That's expected for over a year now. I will have to learn github and host all my library code there.

liudr: That's expected for over a year now. I will have to learn github and host all my library code there.

Unfortunately. The thing that bothers me is the loss of data

Hi, Sounds like Google only entered the open source halfheartedly, they say other providers were better. In other words google, with all there computing/programming capability, weren't prepared to update and improve their own product.

Tom.... :)

I thought it was illegal hosting of copyrighted materials (songs videos) that made google consider shutting down google code.

liudr: I thought it was illegal hosting of copyrighted materials (songs videos) that made google consider shutting down google code.

Why would Google code be hosting those?

smeezekitty: Why would Google code be hosting those?

I thought you can upload any type of files on google code.

CrossRoads: That sounds a little off from their "Don't be Evil" corporate motto. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don't_be_evil

Maybe their new motto should be "We won't be evil, unless we can make more money by being evil, in which case screw you"

I thought it was illegal hosting of copyrighted materials

That's what they say, on the page that was originally linked:

As developers migrated away from Google Code, a growing share of the remaining projects were spam or abuse. Lately, the administrative load has consisted almost exclusively of abuse management. After profiling non-abusive activity on Google Code, it has become clear to us that the service simply isn’t needed anymore.

I'm not sure that their methodology is valid; I'd sort-of expect that activity on "legitimate" pages would be much less than on abusive pages. After all, it's a repository, and its main function should involve letting things sit there.

Is there a group or forum where people are discussing their issues with migrating to GitHub?
I had a fair amount on problems getting the optiboot wiki page to be readable, and then they weren’t really in the right spot…

westfw: Is there a group or forum where people are discussing their issues with migrating to GitHub? I had a fair amount on problems getting the optiboot wiki page to be readable, and then they weren't really in the right spot...

It'll be nice to have a subforum that focuses on documenting projects (schematics, breadboard illustration such as fritzing, etc.), sharing pictures, code, library, hardware designs. There are a number of options but I see very few threads discussing this very important issue. When a good project finishes, it needs a place hosting all its stuff.

I wish they would have atleast kept readonly access to existing data.