Got an IDEA! Need a way to get a live image feed.

I have built a 8x8 LED matrix, shift registers are on the way, and when I am done hopefully I will have a fully functional display with PWM to control the brightness of each pixel.

What I would like to do is to add a low resolution, monochrome camera to the project and make a digital mirror. I have seen this done with the "wodden mirror" project, although I can't seem to find much information about how it was done or what kind of camera was used.

Any help or pointers in the right direction would be much appreciated!

The processing for that was done on a PC and sent to the arduino to flip the wood things around as far as I know.

If you attach a camera to the PC and put your image processing logic on the PC, then you could achieve what you're describing quite easily.

If that isn't feasible and you believe the Arduino needs to interface directly to the camera, the problem is rather harder.

Yeah, I was a afraid of that...

Thanks for the input...

Some old optical mice chips allow access to the raw image. If you can find one that has an I2C or SPI interface (from before the USB interface was crammed into the chip) you might be able to use it as a low-resolution camera on the Arduino. Look for older optical mice and open them up. If there is a separate USB chip you may be in luck!

johnwasser: Some old optical mice chips allow access to the raw image. If you can find one that has an I2C or SPI interface (from before the USB interface was crammed into the chip) you might be able to use it as a low-resolution camera on the Arduino. Look for older optical mice and open them up. If there is a separate USB chip you may be in luck!

Yep: http://dev.squarecows.com/2009/07/13/creating-an-optical-mouse-cam-with-an-arduino/

The primary difficulty with these is creating DIY optics to get the focus right. DIY Drones sells one with the optics.