GPRS/GSM shield sim use same number as phone?

I want to be able to use my arduino to send text message notifications. I don't really want to pay for another phone line though, and would prefer to not have to worry about paying another bill to add more text to the sim card when limit is reached.

I don't use the max text message allowance on my phone and I know phones have the ability to change numbers if you need to.

The question is, can I modify the sim card that I want to use in the GPRS/GSM shield to use my cell phone number so that it has access the text messaging that I already pay for anyway? I know you can have multiple house phones use the same phone number, and I'd really like to do the same thing with my cell phone.

Any advice or output will be appreciated. Keep in mind, I would still like to be able to use my cell phone Thomas

Contact your operator to see if it can be done.

I found this quote

Your phone constantly pages the local towers to say "I here", no matter where you are on the SPCS system, and to pass on phone calls to you. If there were two phones with the same number, which phone would get the call?

Then we get to the problem on if both phones are used at the same time, twice the number of minutes are being used at the same time. .

So the question now is, What plans do you use for SMS messaging? Do you pay for a separate phone bill or pre pay for so many text? Does anyone know if there is a phone company out there that will let you use their service and add a sim card line(for an arduino) that is linked to your phone that way a message every now and then can be sent without the hassle of adding another line or being bothered to pre pay for more text? That's such a pain in the ... no one wants that hassle!

Thomas499: I want to be able to use my arduino to send text message notifications. I don't really want to pay for another phone line though, and would prefer to not have to worry about paying another bill to add more text to the sim card when limit is reached.

I don't use the max text message allowance on my phone and I know phones have the ability to change numbers if you need to.

The question is, can I modify the sim card that I want to use in the GPRS/GSM shield to use my cell phone number so that it has access the text messaging that I already pay for anyway? I know you can have multiple house phones use the same phone number, and I'd really like to do the same thing with my cell phone.

Any advice or output will be appreciated. Keep in mind, I would still like to be able to use my cell phone Thomas

It's possible to clone your sim. Some operators have a twin card. You should check with your operator!

It's possible to clone your sim. Some operators have a twin card. You should check with your operator!

This is very interesting! Any idea if they can both be active at the same time?

I tried to contact Verizon, they require an account password to talk to a rep. For some reason an account password isn't the same thing as your voice mailbox password. It isn't the same as your social either. Whoever came up with the idea of an account password that isn't the same as the voice mailbox password wasn't a very helpful individual to society.

Thomas499: This is very interesting! Any idea if they can both be active at the same time?

It would be interpreted as a sign of fraud and the account would be suspended immediately. The SIM is the unique identifier of the mobile equipment by means of the IMSI. Duplicate IMSIs are not allowed and if detected would result in that IMSI being disabled.

To share an account between two active mobile equipment means having two different SIMs, with different IMSIs, that are linked in the network provider's accounting system. You'd have to talk to the provider to get this.

I use a pay-as-you-go SIM for all my SMS projects. You should be able to get a cheap PAYG account from a local provider for something like $10 per month.

You should be able to get a cheap PAYG account from a local provider for something like $10 per month.

That's what my cell phone bill that includes unlimited call and text cost me(i don't have a smart phone though so no data). I don't know how many arduino people out there are willing to pay $120 a year so their arudino can send a text message. Text message via arduino is a potentially promising technology and I dare not try to estimate the scalability for such a technology as an upgrade option for the home brew world.

But with that price, and no other options available, it might as well be a lost cause. It would be great to have, but it isn't worth $120 a year.

Well, I pay $25 3 times a year to keep a PAYG account going. I really do recommend checking what's available in your actual area. Look for mobile-phone specific forums -- eg: Howard Forums.

http://www.howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php/34-US-Carrier-Discussion

I will look into it.

As a side request, I would like to know if there is any reason if I started a kick starter project, If I were to acquire a bit of money would it be feasible to get a web server expert like zoomkat, or Nick Gammon to make a server that accepts input from the wi-fi shield, and uses an arduino email to send text messages?

I know you can download apps for this, but that isn't an official text message therefore people like me who don't have smart phones can't get the messages.

But I know you can send an official text message using an email account, and you can also send information to a server using the wi-fi shield. If you put two and two together using a server to intercept the incoming data and one email account to format the data and send it as a text message.... magic happens

What would it take to make this happen? Is there a reason it wouldn't work? Would anyone be willing to do it? What price?

Get back to me and i'll do my part. Thomas

... make a server that accepts input from the wi-fi shield, and uses an arduino email to send text messages?

An HTTP POST, sent via the WiFi Shield, that a web server turns into a text (SMS) message?

It will be more easy to send email to sms via wifi connection !

Did you check with you operator if it's possible to get a twin card? I have a twin card with no extra coast from my operator that I use in my iPad.

An HTTP POST, sent via the WiFi Shield, that a web server turns into a text (SMS) message?

Yes, here is part of the code directly from the WiFi client example in the pre-loaded library.

Serial.println("\nStarting connection to server...");
  // if you get a connection, report back via serial:
  if (client.connect(server, 80)) {
    Serial.println("connected to server");
    // Make a HTTP request:
    client.println("GET /search?q=arduino HTTP/1.1");
    client.println("Host: www.google.com");
    client.println("Connection: close");
    client.println();
  }
}

Here is how I imagine the code will look for the server text code

Serial.println("\nStarting connection to server...");
  // if you get a connection, report back via serial:
  if (client.connect(server, 80)) {
    Serial.println("connected to server");
    // Make a HTTP request:
    client.println("GET /textmessageaddres=("phonenumber@vtext.com") messageToSend=("hello") HTTP/1.1");
    client.println("Host: www.SuperiorTextRelayForArudinoHomeBrewOnBudgets.com");
    client.println("Connection: close");
    client.println();
  }

It will be more easy to send email to sms via wifi connection !

Did you check with you operator if it's possible to get a twin card? I have a twin card with no extra coast from my operator that I use in my iPad.

Yes, my brother in law works for my service provider. He said a pay as you go extra phone line, or adding an extra phone line to my plan is the only two option which is beyond my budget. They would not do this at no extra cost. I am curious what provider do you use? Maybe I need to switch to a provider that is willing to meet customer needs.

I think the server relay system would benefit many people though. What will it take to make this concept a reality?

As fas as I know it is not possible because you cant connect with 2 of the same sim cards to the network. (is good because a thief cant copy your sim card)

What is possible is to buy a duplicate sim card from your provider and put it in a second device. The only problem is that you cant use the 2 cards at the same time. So your phone loses its connection when you use the second sim card in your sim900 device.

I know this for sure because I had a duplicate sim for my build in car phone. (a few years back) When I got into my car, my phone switched automaticly off and my car phone connected to the gsm network. After I left the car, my phone switched on and connected to the network. You need a special car phone for this to work.

(sorry for the bad language, hop you understand what I mean to say?)