GPRS in space

I'm new to Arduino and I'm using a Arduino Nano in a prototype for a pico-satellite. I need a simple way of communication so I decided on a gprs shield/module. Would that work, or would I have to use a radio system, etc?

Communication with what?

Is GPRS implemented in LEO?

Is this for a real satellite or just an exersize ?

Your satellite, if flying around the earth, will be in and out of the range of your specific network as it flies over your area. How often and when, that depends on the trajectory of your satellite. This is assuming the networks reach that high up in the first place, which is of course not the use they've been designed for.

Mobile phone cell stations have a range of a few kilometres are most, not only that but they use directional aerials that concentrate their coverage horizontally. Aircraft wanting to connect to the telephone network use satellite links, not links to the nearest mobile phone network. There is no chance of connecting to the mobile phone network from space.

I suspect there are very strict limitations on what you are allowed to use for communications from a pico-sat...

westfw:
I suspect there are very strict limitations on what you are allowed to use for communications from a pico-sat…

Indeed so.

PerryBebbington:
Mobile phone cell stations have a range of a few kilometres are most

Plus the GSM network uses time of flight to limit comms to 35km as I recall.