GPS arduino UNO project

Hi Everyone,

For the new year :slight_smile: , I would like to build a simple project with my Arduino UNO and would like some advice/ guidance.

Project description:
Basically I'd like to turn Arduino Uno into a gps tracking device.
Mainly, I'd like arduino to:

1. Get info on its position each k minutes/hours (customizable)
  2. Record info on memory card
  3. Send data to a computer at call or each k minutes/hours (or to a mobile phone optionally) via GSM (is gsm ok?)
  4. Display data on google Earth and then display some statistics via a simple desktop application, perhaps developed with Python.

Advice/Guidance needed.

First of all, is the project feasable with arduino Uno?

Now, assuming it is, I have some idea about how to do point 4, however I'd like to gather some information on which components to buy based on these information and where to look for further guidance.

1,2 )GPS module = should be as accurate as possible. Is this module ok to develop this project? Adafruit Ultimate GPS Logger Shield - Includes GPS Module : ID 1272 : $29.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits

it looks like it'd also solve the sd card storage problem. Someone has ever had any experience with such product? How accurate is it?

3 ) I basically know nothing about step 3. Could you tell me where I could look up some solutions?
Or even suggest one based on your experience?

thank you :smiley:

I basically know nothing about step 3. Could you tell me where I could look up some solutions?

arduino send SMS

First of all, is the project feasable with arduino Uno?

Yes. Get a GPS module and attach it to your Uno. That's your first step.

Then add the SD card

Then add SMS.

But do one thing at a time!

Mark

I know that the ethernet shield can send information to the internet and has a micro sd card slot.
A very good book to get on that kind of stuff is THE ARDUINO COOKBOOK.

raschemmel:
arduino send SMS

Thank you, that's a good starting point. Is GPRS/GSM the only way to gather data from Arduino at distance? (Aside from wifi/bluetooth)

holmes4:
Yes. Get a GPS module and attach it to your Uno. That's your first step.

Then add the SD card

Then add SMS.

But do one thing at a time!

Mark

Thanks Mark for your reply, which gps module would you suggest? Adafruit's one seems good, still a bit pricey though but that's fine as long as it's a good product. (Adafruit Ultimate GPS Logger Shield - Includes GPS Module : ID 1272 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits)
Of course I'm going to do one thing at a time, otherwise I'd surely be overwhelmed :smiley:

MaxSC:
I know that the ethernet shield can send information to the internet and has a micro sd card slot.
A very good book to get on that kind of stuff is THE ARDUINO COOKBOOK.

Thanks, the book seems a good idea. However, Ethernet is not an option :frowning: